Ccv mod sucks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ccv mod sucks

Ok so I put on my No-Limit intake a couple weeks ago. I did the ccv mod at the same time as the intake doesn't have a port for it. When the conditions are right I have a what would appear to be a cloud coming from under my truck. ( not much actually comes out of it, but it looks like it.) there has to be a better system.

Would it work to run it through a small cooler (like an aux trans cooler) to condense the smoke (or vapor) coming out of the hose and run it the through some sort of a catch can and then out to the back of the truck or back into the intake better yet??? The cooler would have to be oriented so that it drains out I imagine.

As it stands now I hate it. I can't imagine what it is gonna look like next winter when it gets cold.

Last edited by floorboy; 07-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ditto. I seem to terrorize innocent people beside me at stop lights. I've heard of some people welding a nipple onto their muffler and running it out the exhaust. Theory is smoke will be out the exhaust and the flow will pull / vent the vapor better.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 AM

Yeah, I've heard some very mixed reviews of that. There has to be a way of making it work.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Darkhorse diesel makes a kit that runs into the exhaust. I think the key is installing it at a 45* angle.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Why don't u run a hose back to the rear of your truck instead of just leaving it in the engine bay. Put a small filter in the end if you want or check out those other closed kit systems. Just make it end at the rear of your truck
Old 07-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A bud did this but downstream from his muffler. Stainless steel 1" tubing at a 45 degree angle with the end also cut at a 45 degree angle. Just make damn sure there isn't any dips in the hose going to the tubing that can collect liquid. He's had his for about three years now with zero issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 AM

There is a thread for the older trucks here and aside from the design he used being much to large and bulky IMO the same concept works with a metal type filter element. I have seen lots of different styles and people even using the small crankcase filters you can buy off the shelf but the metal style filter element (even steel wool) seems to really eliminate the smoke AND odor the best.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I will say that I smell mine here and there. and also terrorize people at stop lights as well but everytime I smell it I think "better to smell it than be going back into the motor".

Also mine is vented through a 12' hose down in the middle of my box.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

https://www.mann-hummel.com/industri...BVFLGOcGNM.pdf

I am using one of these,the pro vent 200. They utilize a coalescing filter to remove the oil mist from the crankcase vapor. can be run in closed or open configuration.
The oil drain from the filter can be run back to the oil pan in two different configerations or it can simply be run to a catch can & drained as needed. Due to the limited amount of usable space with the 6.4 crammed in the engine bay. I mounted mine out front & used a catch can. I am initially running it as an open system with the outlet hose run back to the air intake filter. If I find this isn't working out I will run it back to the stock location on the inlet as a closed system. I've only got a couple 1000 k on the system , but everthing looks good so far. In the winter, Condensation & or freezing of any water vapor may be a problem with where I have mine located, but time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Ccv mod sucks-pro-vent-1.jpg   Ccv mod sucks-pro-vent-3.jpg   Ccv mod sucks-pro-vent-supply-hose-engine.jpg   Ccv mod sucks-provent-discharge-hose-air-intake.jpg   Ccv mod sucks-pro-vent-drain-catch-can.jpg  

Last edited by TD-5; 07-06-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM

I ran mine across the top of the motor, down by the area where the EGR coolers were, and left the open end just behind my front bumper. I haven't been able to smell it even a little bit yet. I also don't see any smoke at all. I think the fan slowly spinning takes all the smoke and smell away. I also just did a long tow with my travel trailer and looked underneath where it vents. There was a fair bit of smoke underneath but standing in front of the truck I couldn't smell or see anything.

Last edited by superduty6.4; 07-06-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ccv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.