DPF-R+4.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF-R+4.0

Any of you guys running the DPF-R+4.0 have any issues with transmission shifting after installation? I am under the impression that the DPF-R is not supposed to make any changes to the transmission shifting. I just installed mine and it seems like the shifts are much closer together and I seem to have a shift flare in 2nd and 3rd in more than light acceleration. If I put in in tow/haul it seems to shift more like it did before the DPF-R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What year truck and what job # do you have? I have a Job 1 08 and it does the exact same thing. Runs fine with light acceleration but when you give it gas it revs up between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes between 3rd and 4th. I called gearbox and said they have never heard of this and that it might be a transmission problem. I am running DPF delete only with factory flash and it runs fine. Its something to do with the 4.0 flash.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 AM

I have a 2010. Don't know the job number, maybe job 2. In service date was Feb. 7, 2010. Could this problem be damaging the transmission?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cant answer that, and thats why i flashed it back to stock w/dpf delete. I dont know much about transmissions, but it seems that it could be causing the clutches to slip and that cant be good. Its not normal, so im not risking it with a $4000 trans. Hopefully someone with transmission knowledge will chime in.

I think the programmer and the TCM just arent working together, or something else thats electrical.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Strange to hear someone with a later model truck having this problem. I have a Job 1 08 that will occasionally flare up with light throttle and shift hard between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. I called the company that i got my tune from (River City Diesel) and they said that all 08 Job 1 trucks do the same thing when tuned. Which didnt really help me to much but i was relieved to know it wasnt necessarily just my transmission being weird.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM

I returned the truck to stock then re-flashed without the economy tune and the shifting seems to be normal again. I did not get a chance to hand check the mileage while the economy tune was in place, but the lie-o-meter was showing 22mpg, up from about 16 before, so there should be an increase of 2-3 mpg. in real life. Anyway, there is something wrong with the programming in the DPF-R economy tune. I have emailed Gear Box Z about the problem, but they have not replied.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've been looking at getting one of these. Did they ever get back with you?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 AM

nope. I'll Try Again.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Thanks. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence when they don't answer emails.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM

there is a relationship between the engine and the transmission that you upset with the new tune- if you were to give it time and distance, the transmission would adapt to the engine tune... torque management won't allow you to put all the power to the terra unless you wipe it's previous adaptive memory (via trans tune), or, you give it time and distance... the trans tunes that come along with other tuners address the timing and pressure expectations at different RPM levels... your transmission simply didn't have a stored logic for what you were asking it to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.