Could be a caliper issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could be a caliper issues?

For a few hundred miles I was fighting the steering wheel to keep the truck on the road. It started veering to the right. As it just so happened while I was filling up with diesel, I put my hand close to the rotors on both the front driver and passenger wheels. The passenger side was incredibly hot. Couldn't put my hand on it. The driver side was manageable.

When I got home I jacked the passenger side up and spun the tire. It required some effort but not to much and I can hear the pads rubbing the rotor good. I can also see an imprint on the rotor where the pad had been sitting before. Almost as if it was burned in. The rotors are not warped or glazed over though. Previous breaking has not been an issue as the truck doesn't pull any harder when I do break and it makes no noise.

After letting things cool I removed the tire and then the slider pins which moved freely but I couldn't get the caliper off. I had no way to compress the pistons at that moment so I eventually gave up. I just bought some c-clamps to be delivered later this week. I did however viciously shift the caliper up and down over and over the pads while trying to free it releasing a lot of rust and dust. I finally just blew out as much dust and debris as I could. I put everything back together torqued it down and called it a night.

So this morning (5 am). I hop on the toll road, blaze to 90mph (only time I can open the truck up) then coast at 75MPH for about 12 miles. After some stop and go at a few lights I get to work and park. During the trip the truck had a very small pull to the right. I used my IR gun and hit the driver side rotor which was at 95c and the the passenger side which was at 99c. I could touch the top of both rotors with little concern.

So, in my efforts, is it possible that something may have been previously seized/restricted has been corrected?

I will pull the caliper off and check the pistons them selves once my clamps come in.

Truck is driven 1-2 times a week.

I have 46k on her.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think your nuts to drive that fast with a brake concern and I doubt your fix is permanent

IMHO calipers are cheap I would replace it

or rebuild / inspect
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
i think your nuts to drive that fast with a brake concern and I doubt your fix is permanent

or rebuild / inspect
I agree..with everything you said. Disassemble/inspect/clean, replace what's needed. (90mph!!??)

I had a similar problem when I was younger, where I suspected there was a problem with my old F150's brakes. I didn't take heed and kept driving it. One day, luckily I was only going about 25mph when it happened, a loud horrible grinding noise and my truck came to an abrupt stop. While I was standing there looking at it, the right front tire started losing air. It turned out the top caliper bolt had come out and the whole thing had rotated downward with the bottom bolt as the pivot point, and was grinding through my wheel. It got deep enough through that air could escape. I still have that wheel to remind me not to let things go so long that they escalate...and not to drive 90mph when I think I may have a problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

or rebuild / inspect
Thanks for the reply.

My first effort was to duplicate the problem. It was first on the tolls that I recognized it. Normal stop and go, not so much. Tolls are 85MPH. So in that sense I was conservative. Caliper was not seized as noted earlier. In the early AM hours with no other drivers on the road, I took the risk seeing as how it was apparent that I may have gone a few hundred miles in a much worse condition and at higher speeds. I was counting on 12 miles not to cause my truck to spontaneously implode. And I'm glad it didn't.

Understood that the fix is most likely not permanent and as I said before, the caliper will come off when my clamps get here for inspection (should be tomorrow from Amazon). I most likely will do all around new brakes anyways as I have been budgeting for them.

I am aware of other members making comments about brakes seizing due to lack of usage (low mileage trucks) because of the truck sitting for long periods of time.

One member recommended pulling breaks once a year and do an all out cleaning to prevent such things. With the amount of dust and rust I removed, I have high hopes I guess.

Oh, to clarify, I didn't sustain 90MPH, peaked quickly then let off and coasted at 75MPH.

Last edited by DisposableHero; 06-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a steering issue, turned out to be dry u-joints. Don't know if that is your problem just throwing It out there
Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Remove the caliper and have someone gently mash the brake pedal while you watch the pistons move. I had a caliper that had a failed piston (wasn't moving at all) and the other wouldn't retract all the way when you let off the pedal. Those pads had a pretty steep slope of wear on them too.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan View Post
Remove the caliper and have someone gently mash the brake pedal while you watch the pistons move..
are you sure the piston won't shoot out of the caliper
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
are you sure the piston won't shoot out of the caliper
I've done it without problems but good point, I could see that being a risk if the person mashing the pedal is clueless and clumsy. I did it with the engine off (way less hydraulic pressure), wore safety goggles, faced the caliper away from me, stood back at a safe observable distance, and had a block of wood in the caliper to catch the pistons in case they shot out, etc. Basically took every safety precaution necessary but I was more worried about a blown seal and brake fluid blasting out.

Honestly though from what I can see, the brakes on these trucks are being asked to do a lot even without a load on them. I'd just replace the caliper anyway.

Last edited by Fordtrucktexan; 06-26-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 PM

I did go ahead and purchase a new caliper and pads to be prepared. I appreciate all the replies. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put new calipers on it will fix it. I have a couple of these trucks and had to put calipers on them all. They get sticky or something. Been a ford problem since the 99 super duty came out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.