Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Could be a caliper issues?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  DisposableHero 
#1 ·
For a few hundred miles I was fighting the steering wheel to keep the truck on the road. It started veering to the right. As it just so happened while I was filling up with diesel, I put my hand close to the rotors on both the front driver and passenger wheels. The passenger side was incredibly hot. Couldn't put my hand on it. The driver side was manageable.

When I got home I jacked the passenger side up and spun the tire. It required some effort but not to much and I can hear the pads rubbing the rotor good. I can also see an imprint on the rotor where the pad had been sitting before. Almost as if it was burned in. The rotors are not warped or glazed over though. Previous breaking has not been an issue as the truck doesn't pull any harder when I do break and it makes no noise.

After letting things cool I removed the tire and then the slider pins which moved freely but I couldn't get the caliper off. I had no way to compress the pistons at that moment so I eventually gave up. I just bought some c-clamps to be delivered later this week. I did however viciously shift the caliper up and down over and over the pads while trying to free it releasing a lot of rust and dust. I finally just blew out as much dust and debris as I could. I put everything back together torqued it down and called it a night.

So this morning (5 am). I hop on the toll road, blaze to 90mph (only time I can open the truck up) then coast at 75MPH for about 12 miles. After some stop and go at a few lights I get to work and park. During the trip the truck had a very small pull to the right. I used my IR gun and hit the driver side rotor which was at 95c and the the passenger side which was at 99c. I could touch the top of both rotors with little concern.

So, in my efforts, is it possible that something may have been previously seized/restricted has been corrected?

I will pull the caliper off and check the pistons them selves once my clamps come in.

Truck is driven 1-2 times a week.

I have 46k on her.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree..with everything you said. Disassemble/inspect/clean, replace what's needed. (90mph!!??)

I had a similar problem when I was younger, where I suspected there was a problem with my old F150's brakes. I didn't take heed and kept driving it. One day, luckily I was only going about 25mph when it happened, a loud horrible grinding noise and my truck came to an abrupt stop. While I was standing there looking at it, the right front tire started losing air. It turned out the top caliper bolt had come out and the whole thing had rotated downward with the bottom bolt as the pivot point, and was grinding through my wheel. It got deep enough through that air could escape. I still have that wheel to remind me not to let things go so long that they escalate...and not to drive 90mph when I think I may have a problem.

#6 ·
Remove the caliper and have someone gently mash the brake pedal while you watch the pistons move. I had a caliper that had a failed piston (wasn't moving at all) and the other wouldn't retract all the way when you let off the pedal. Those pads had a pretty steep slope of wear on them too.

#11 ·
I do not like leaving threads incomplete so here is hopefully my last update on this issue.

Took the truck to the dealership and had them do an alignment for measure. Numbers came back good.

I was finally able to pull the pads and calipers on both front wheels. Both calipers had no issues compressing the cylinder back into the bore. But, I did have brake pads rusted in place to the brake hardware in the caliper bracket though. Brake pad wear was significant enough that I had to syphon fluid from the reservoir to prevent spillage. I had to beat one pad out with my rubber mallet as it was siezed. Took off the brackets and gave them a good cleaning. Used copper anisieze every which place where there was metal on metal contact with the pads+hardware+caliper bracket. Cleaned out the guide pin holes and relubed with silicon paste. Had the rotors cut and put new sever duty pads on. And lastley, swap both front tires (thinking a tire could be causing the pull).

I have put approx 450 miles with this setup measuring temps (to the touch, IR gun is dead) and checking for any sticking and dragging concerns. So far, the truck is running smooth, straight and awesome. Heat range is ballpark between the two sides. AND averaging 19MPG between Austin and Dallas doing 75MPH before my regen was excellent.

Because both front sides looked evenly bad, I will place an order for the front left caliper as well. But both calipers will sit on one of my shelves for the time being.

P.S. I'm gonna pull the rear brakes this weekend coming up.

#12 ·
good work, man...thanks for the update

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.