6.4L problems caused by Stop-Leak additives. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4L problems caused by Stop-Leak additives.

The purpose of this thread is to gather information to use against a local dealership who tried to fix a radiator leak, that they likely caused, by adding 2 bottles of stop leak additive to the coolant of my 2008 6.4L F350. I would appreciate any replies or PM's if you personally know of any cases where stop-leak additives caused blockages or damage to a 6.4L diesel truck. It can be your truck or the truck of someone you know, and it would especially be helpful if you're a mechanic or technician that could provide any actual worst case examples. I know Ford has given technicians notices in bold print that says "NOTICE: Use of commercially available stop leak products in the 6.4L Diesel may result in engine damage.", and I have a copy of one of these warnings from Fords technician database, but now I need some actual examples damage that has resulted from stop leak additives being added to the 6.4L engine coolant.

As a personal example, I worked as a salesman at a Ford dealership for a while after I got out of the service. One afternoon I had a long talk with a service customer who was pacing around our internet cafe. Apparently he had been through 3 or 4 radiators on his truck, and when the next one started to leak during a road trip he tried to quick fix it with some stop leak additive . The service dept told him that the stop leak had plugged up his oil cooler and and some other things, but I don't recall his exact description of the troubleshooting and diagnosis. I do remember that he paid lots of money to replace the radiator, oil cooler, thermostats, water pump, and I believe he also had the heads removed and cleaned because they also found an issue with the head gaskets.

Again, if you have any examples like this to share please reply in this thread or PM me. If you would like to include names and locations that's fine, but it's certainly not required.

Also, if you would like more detail about my dispute with the dealership details are in this thread: Trip to dealership with 6.4L ends badly with unauthorized repair

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited by Mr Hahn; 06-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.