Gas in fuel tank....... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Gas in fuel tank.......

So dad has a 2010 6.4, 100,000 miles. He accidentally put a little bit of gas in the fuel tank, no more than a couple cups worth so way less than a gallon. if he tops it off with diesel will he see problems? the truck was just parked after he filled it so it hasnt really been run. What to do? what problems will it cause? thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

If it was truly and justly a couple of cups, as in 2 8oz cups, then it won't hurt. If anyone is exaggerating to try to minimize the situation, well then...This would be the time for truthful and honest talk.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Ok, I have heard there are two different kind of diesel truck drivers. First owners who have put gas in the fuel tank then second owners who eventually will. I pulled up to a gas station and was looking for the green pump handle because that usually means diesel. Not at this particular station, I started pumping and 8 gallons later I noticed it was gas. I immediately pulled forward and topped off my tank with diesel. Drove her home 15 miles, parked and next morning I was draining my fuel tank. Went and got 10 gallons of diesel, cranked up the truck, drove to the gas station and put a full tank of diesel in it. Now that was on my 7.3 and she showed no ill effects of my stupidity. I for one do not think your father's truck will suffer any, the gas would be very diluted. Hopefully I'm right.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM

It may ignite at a slightly lower compression, which would be called pre-detonation. Depending on the densities, which I am too lazy to look up, we could calculate the dilution and new combustion temp/pressure with the gas in the fuel. However, assuming a 30 gallon tank with 16 oz of gas, you're looking at around:
30 gal * 128 oz/gal = 16,640 ounces total.
16/16,640 = 0.001 or 0.1% gas.

Seems harmless to me. There's probably more water in there than gas

Last edited by Expirobo; 06-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

I don't know too much about the newer diesels but I'd think it would be ok. I kno that guys up in Alaska will put a gallon of gas in the fuel tank so their diesel won't get too thick and sludgy in the winter time

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
I don't know too much about the newer diesels but I'd think it would be ok. I kno that guys up in Alaska will put a gallon of gas in the fuel tank so their diesel won't get too thick and sludgy in the winter time

I called my father when I had my mishap and he told me the same thing about putting in a gallon of gas when the winters got really cold. 18 wheeler
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Serving Our Country!

I got a buddy of mine back up in Oregon filling up his 7.3 at the filling station and in Oregon you can't pump your own gas so the high school punk filling the truck put the gas nozzle in there, started pumping and walked away. Only about a gallon and a half got put in so it was ok luckily he spotted the black nozzle. I was surprised to find out my buddy didn't kill the d*** head kid

Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

sounds like the generally consensus here is to fill it and drive it. were dropping the fuel tank and draining it anyway cause he doesnt wanna risk it, were taking it on vacation next week. thanks a lot for the input guys, much appreciated
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Go ahead, but it is honestly a moot point IMHO. All you're be doing is wasting precious diesel.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Well, I had the exact opposite problem....LOL. Back in February when I was up north snowmobiling, I filled my sled up with diesel. I flipped is over and dumped it out and filled it up with gas. Needless to say, I was the joke that weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.