2010 F350 (H&S tuned & deleted)-No Start??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 F350 (H&S tuned & deleted)-No Start???

2010 F350 with 16,xxx miles. Tuned with H&S Mini Maxx and DPF deleted.

Had odd situation today. Truck was tuned/ deleted in January and never had any issues til today...... Came out store and went to start truck.....nothing. No crank, no buzz, no nothing. Cycle the key and it was just flat dead. I waited few minutes, tried again and NOTHING. I did notice the traction control light (off) was on dash as if it was turned off but other than that, no other lights. Was ready to call tow truck and out of desperation, I decided to mess with tuner (H&S mini maxx). I reinstalled H&S tune and then the truck started up. I started and stopped it several times in parking lot and all appeared to be fine. Just to be sure, I drove to autopart store and had both batteries tested....they were both fine (12.8v & 12.7v). Went to leave autoparts store and it happended again...but this time it started but my guages on dash were acting crazy...bouncing all around. I shut off truck and then tried to restart and it went dead again. No start until I re downloaded H&S tune again. Finally got it running and headed home (about 25 miles) no issues. Once home, I restarted and drove around few miles...no issues now???

Just as precaution, I did update the memory card using the H&S updater and loaded back into my programmer then re downloaded to truck. I also noticed the HDMI cable for tuner I had in truck was frayed so I replaced it with new one. Also checked for any codes (DTC) but there wasnt any???

Any ideas guys? Just a fluke gremlin? Programmer issue? Truck issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You may be lucky but i wasn't. The problem is that there is a short somewhere causing the computer to shut down to protect itself from getting fried. So when you retune it's forgetting what it was shut down for and let's the computers turn back on until there is another short. The hdmi cable can cause this. If the wires in the hdmi or OBDII block are shorting it can mess with the computer. I wasn't so lucky. It did it once on my truck and then few months later it did it again, then again in a week and just progressed to get worse until it totally locked my truck up. Had to get it towed to ford and it ended up being a short in the brake control module causing all the warming lights and dash to go crazy on top of many other things. If you replace the cable and you don't have any more issues I'd say your good. If it still does it, you better start looking into the can/ bus system

Here is the thread when mine started going crazy
HELP! Trailer brake fault, codes and lots of warning lights
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks. I hope my issue is solved. I didnt get any codes so not sure how to proceed. Hoping it may just be the HDMI cable I replaced. It was pretty messed up and pinched.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 AM

Betting it was the HDMI. If communication is interrupted between the head unit and the truck, you'll get a no-start condition. Some trucks will start back up after reprogramming, others won't. You could have also jumped the starter wire under the hood. (Necessary on some trucks)

It's a sinking feeling when nothing happens when you turn that key!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 AM

Yes...a VERY sinking feeling when nothing happens at turn of key. Also a bit of a confidence shaker....I use my truck for hauling boat to lakes, rivers far from home. Dont want to end up stranded!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
I know that you had your batteries checked but those voltages seem low. I was having weird issues similar to yours and it turned out both of my batteries were crap. After replacement all problems went away.
Your batteries should be showing a voltage in the 13 or 14 range when fully charged.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 PM

OK....I just went outside and checked them with multimeter. Truck was not driven today and both batteries show 12.5~12.6 v. Then, I started truck and let run just for few minutes and now both batteries are over 13V.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
Well that shows your alternator(s)? are working. If your batteries are gone they will hold the higher voltage a short time and go down again.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugelle View Post
Thanks. I hope my issue is solved. I didnt get any codes so not sure how to proceed. Hoping it may just be the HDMI cable I replaced. It was pretty messed up and pinched.
well then you got lucky it was an easy fix. ford had my truck for 3 weeks trying to find the problem. the hdmi is communicating directly to the computer so if it shorts out its going to cause it to shut down. hope thats the last you see of the problem. after i got my truck back it didnt go more than 15 minutes away from town. i was scared to drive it and it leave me stranded and have to pay to get it towed to my house, reinstall factory exhaust and then get it towed to ford.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Thanks Travis. Crossing my fingers. Truck Is under extended warranty so Id have to detune and reinstall exhaust before taking to dealership. Pain in ***.
Having truck in shop for 3 weeks would criple me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.