Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Turbo Removal Cab On

68K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  RandomForumGuy 
#1 ·
I had looked online for a good write up on how to do this process and couldnt find any in detail. I blew the oil seal out of the vgt turbo and got a whole new assembly. So I will post up my way. I didnt use a lift or any special tools. Just a good set of sockets in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 with multiple extensions(Feel free to add if you feel there is an easier way to do something good help is hard to come by these days and I am going off by memory so I may have left something out). And having a topside creeper would help but I didn't use one.

1. Remove negative side from batteries.(Or remove Batteries completely for parts and tool trays)

2. Remove intake assembly from filter housing to turbo. Be sure to unhook any sensors in your intake and make sure wire harness is out of the way from being ripped.

3. Disconnect fuel cooler lines and fuel lines to the cooler and fuel lines to the cooler. Remove cooler, reservoir, and turbo u-pipe. All can come off by un bolting from valve cover.

4. Disconnect oil feed lines to turbos and downpipe from turbo and exhaust and the CAC pipe to the turbo.

5. Remove two 10mm bolts from egr pipe to passenger side up pipe. Use lots of PB Blaster and heat and a good socket. Then remove two 10mm bolts from egr pipe to bracket on back of the turbos. Then wedge a block of wood between pipe and valve cover to hold it against the fire wall (I have the egr system removed from my truck, not sure if you will have the same amount of play with the egr pipe with the cooler still attached or not)

6. Remove the three 10mm bolts on the drivers side up pipe to the back side of the turbo. There is a bracket that will come off with the the top two bolts for the egr pipe. Kind of a pain to do but once broken loose a flex head gearwrench works wonders back there.

7. Remove cab mounting bolts on Drivers side and loosen passenger side. and jack up drivers side of the cab.

8. Remove three 13mm bolts from up pipe to manifold and pull out manifold then lower the cab back down.

9. Now with the drivers side up pipe removed the passenger side pipe will be a lot easier to access. Remove the 3 10mm bolts on the back of turbo to the up pipe.

10. Remove two 15mm bolts that hold the turbo and clamps to the motor.

11. Jack the cab back up on the drivers side and grab a buddy to help lift the turbos up and out. Be careful when removing and the drain lines at the bottom of the turbo can get caught up so lift strain up until you clear them. Then muscle it out.

12. Repeat in reverse order to re-install.

If anyone caught anything I missed or forgot please add. Not a hard process just somewhat time consuming. Hope this helps.

See less See more
#4 ·
hmm, I was hoping there was enough room to lift the turbos off the intake/engine and pull them forward. There's basically nothing left on the top of the engine.

Guess, I'll find out in short order whether I need to lift the cab.

Head studs are on the agenda (as well as 'o-ringed' heads)...

#5 ·
Looks like you could use this, it's a body on engine removal procedure, I don't think you need to pull the engine completely out but it's a good guide line on what components you need to get out of the way. Hope it helps:ford:

http://www.aev.com/uploads/file/BodyOn64EngineMtnc.pdf

#6 ·
Hey, just a quick note to close out my comment/question.
Completed my Head Gasket R&R (o-ringed the heads also), I got everything off (and back together) without lifting the cab, removing drive shafts, or the tranny. The only part that was a challenge are the turbo inlet pipes (big surprise there - right). Followed the procedures from the DIY Alldata - all is well, no leaks. Took some doing to bleed the air from the fuel system (drained the batteries cranking - twice).

2008 F250, Crew Cab, short bed.

#13 ·
Well, I considered lifting half the cab, all the nuts were slipping on me, so thought I would just try to get the turbos off without jacking up the cab. Not easy from the get go. I was a head-mechaninc at my last job, so I thought I was up for the challenge. Mind you, it was turf equipment, tractors etc, not Powerstrokes. Anyway, broke two of the turbo inlet/hot side bolts loose, started rounding one off even with a box-end 10mm... I was already 3/4 hours into it, frustrated, hurting, and pissy, so I just called the closest shop and hauled it off on a wrecker this morning. had the degas bottle out, fuel cooler, intake, battery on driver side, fender well...

It is what it is. bit off more than I could chew. It just amused me that I was trying to get to a component in "the valley" and was trying to figure out how to get the jump-seat out- to loosen the cab- to lift the cab- to get the turbos off- to get the Oil cooler out... seems like a lot of hassle.

#14 ·
2008 6.4 Turbo Replacement

2008 6.4 crew King Ranch 4x4 / Turbo was whistling, so we are replacing with the Blade Runner. I have all the body bolts very loose or out and can only get a couple inches. Yeah the up-pipes took a couple hours. If you could get the cab up about 6 inches, would shave hours of labor off. What are the tricks to lifting the cab 6 inches ?

#16 ·
Ideas ? Please

Air was blowing out the Actuator arm. I changed the turbo, air still blows out the actuator arm that goes into the Turbo.

Are there any other reasons for that besides the actuator arm itself in the turbo? like clogged exhaust or something else ? deleted, CAN emptied, etc.

2008 6.4 192,000

thanks
John Casey

#17 ·
Thanks for the video. We were missing the very front body bolts. That is why we could only go up 2 inches with the body. I am hesitant to change out the turbo "again" as the new one is doing the same thing as the old one. Thank the Lord I have a 30+ yr diesel mechanic to work on my truck. I pay him, and am sure it is way less than a shop. It really is crazy how much time it takes to work on diesels compared to gas engines. Did all my own (gas) auto work from 72 to 2000, before I tried to let a shop change a water pump(had a baby, was tired) Got home, water just squirting out everywhere. What a lesson. 6.4 2008.
JC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.