Anyone use HID bulbs without projectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone use HID bulbs without projectors?

Reason I ask, I have been talking to a sales rep from V-LED (which is where I got LEDs for my Tahoe and love them!) about their HIDs since they don't make LEDs for the H13 bulbs. I asked if they have a retrofit system like I've seen around here and copied a pic from the retrofit site of their projectors. And I told him that I've read here that if you don't use them you'll blind oncoming traffic if you don't use them. He said there is some truth to that but almost all late model vehicles have highly engineered housing reflectors with a controlled beam pattern. And with adjustment of the beam won't blind oncoming traffic.

Just wondering if anyone here has installed the lights without a projector has any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 PM

I have hids in both head lights and the lower driving lights. I love it!! Did not change to projected head light assembly. Now the main head lights work well with hids and there Is hardly any blinding to on coming traffic. Now hids in the lower driving lights well there CRAZY bright!! Also I noticed when trying to use the high beam with hids is pointless at lest in my truck. The beams go every where so I don't use highbeams any really there is not much of need with hids. I'm running 6000k in both upper and lower and I drive a 2008 f350

Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Ok thanks, I really want to do something, my high beams suck butt! Guess I could try it without the projectors and if I want/need to I can convert the housings later.. What brand did you go with? Do the 6k look blueish? I put 5k LEDs in my Tahoe and love the white light.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM

6000k is just the start of blue is both white and blue. I personally don't see any need for projectors once the hids are in. But thats me. As for brand I can't remember but there a local brand made here in Vancouver bc Canada. But as for cost they were around 250 per set. Also if you do the lower lights to make sure the ballist is mounted up high. I went through a few cause they kept getting wet. I mounted mine on the side of the headlights and since the no problems
Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

I read on V-LEDs website that the ballast can still work under water. That's reassuring especially if you mount it up high. I may go that route
Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Well I was told that there waterproof to and after going through 4 sets I had enough. The connects look like they should be able to handle lots of water and not let anything in but for and 4 sets later I got tired of changing them all the time. Just a tip from my experience good luck and enjoy being able to see the road much better then those crappy stock lights
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the tip
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 AM

I've also got them in my original headlight housing without projectors and they work great. As long as I turn on my fog lights when I pass traffic I don't really ever get flashed.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM

How do HIDs compare to stock lights in temp? Do they run cooler?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i run ddmtuning HID's in head lights and fogs and just re-aimed my headlights and never get flashed. no complaint and the light output is awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.