buying first psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buying first psd

I am looking at a 08 Harley f250 with 82k miles and would like to know what should I look for at dealer . I have a 2008 f250 ext cab LB FX4 with 5.4 and I'm thinging of trading it in for the 6.4 I have 8x20 trailer that I tow my race car totaling about 5000 plus stuff in bed and I get about 9.5 mpg towing. I bought another car for daily driving so all I'm doing with truck is towing. This will be my first psd and I know alittle about them I have friends with 7.3 but no 6.4. I guess I'm trying to see if maintence and engine problems is worth the trade. I only have 60k on mine and only owe 13k but I'm looking for a crew cab and why buy one with same engine I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you would be best to post in the 6.4, but I just switched from a 6.4 to a 6.7. the 6.4 is a pig on fuel and the regen cycles suck. mine was a dd and it would non stop regen aall the time and you can expect single digit mpg's. so I went the tune and delete route and took out the headgaskets. but many have said 6.4 run deleted but if you like a stock truck go 6.7.. the 6.4 was great in everyway but that damn regen really was bad. I would get calls from the wife that the truck is smoking becaue she was doing short trips in the city and would not take the time to regen it. whicg could be as long as 20+ miles at highway speed. my advise to you get under the truck and check the exhaust pipe bolts and see if it has been messed with that will tell you if it has been tuned. mine was a 2010 but all 08 had job numbers (build date) you can ask the 6.4 crowd what to look for according to job number.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

I personally hate the 5.4 in the superduty trucks. All our work trucks were like that and empty they were turds. I mean they ran forever so as far as that goes, thats a plus.
Oasis report first. see if the leaky radiator issue was fixed or whatever else was done at the dealer....Carfax would be nice as well. Pulling 5000lbs wont be a big deal with the new truck...You are going to want to fork out some money on a DPF delete with tuner to keep your mileage decent (1500bucks give or take depending on what brands)
You still will only get around 11 or 12 probably depending on how you drive while towing

however daily driving with those mods i was getting high teens on the highway
Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 PM

I love my truck. If a better one comes around I'll never know because I'll still have this one.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian95 View Post
I am looking at a 08 Harley f250 with 82k miles and would like to know what should I look for at dealer . I have a 2008 f250 ext cab LB FX4 with 5.4 and I'm thinging of trading it in for the 6.4 I have 8x20 trailer that I tow my race car totaling about 5000 plus stuff in bed and I get about 9.5 mpg towing. I bought another car for daily driving so all I'm doing with truck is towing. This will be my first psd and I know alittle about them I have friends with 7.3 but no 6.4. I guess I'm trying to see if maintence and engine problems is worth the trade. I only have 60k on mine and only owe 13k but I'm looking for a crew cab and why buy one with same engine I have.
You should check the engine hours as well compared to the mileage. If you are able to, post the finding up here.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

6.4s are bad on fuel with the dpf, but once you tune it and delete the egr you will get WAY better fuel milage. i loved my 6.4!!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.