Truck Bed Toolbox question?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Bed Toolbox question?!?

Quick question for you guys out there with tool boxes.. i want to get a tool box for my truck, however, i noticed that our super duty bed rails are a bit wider than the regular beds on the half ton trucks. did you guys order/buy/purchase the wider tool box or did you just buy the regular ones they stock in the stores. I have been to lowes and tractor supply looking for these wider boxes, but they don't stock them and have to order them. the wider box for the super duty's is literally only like 2-3 " wider than the regular boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

I have one of the boxes that sit down in the bed. Runs almost even with the rails just does hang over the side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

We use Weatherguard boxes and they fit fine on the SD and I have a chest box on my 150. Weatherguard is more expensive but we feel they are worth it because of the strength and security that they provide, plus they last forever without the locks and hinges coming apart, we use them daily in the construction business and we are hard on them, a Kobalt box from Lowes will only last about 8-9 months with our guys.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM

I'm fine with the way my Weatherguard fits and looks. Size/model 121.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the replies guys.. i just thought i would need the wider box for the superduty's... i guess not if you guys aren't having any trouble with the regular ones. I just didn't want to order one online, and then have it not fit or something.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 AM

i have a box that sits on top of the rails but doesn't fit flush with them. I didn't think it looked right at first but after using it for a while i realized that i can put stuff down along the sides of it easier because of the extra room.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I run a tool box from tractor supply. it sit on the bed sides but has a little gap on both sides to fit a slightly smaller truck bed. when buying it should give you the total width and then the width of the part that drops down. just make sure the part that drops down is thinner than the width of your bed rails and make sure that the overall width sits on the bed rails before you order if that makes sense. I can get a pic of the gap mine has if you would like
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
I run a tool box from tractor supply. it sit on the bed sides but has a little gap on both sides to fit a slightly smaller truck bed. when buying it should give you the total width and then the width of the part that drops down. just make sure the part that drops down is thinner than the width of your bed rails and make sure that the overall width sits on the bed rails before you order if that makes sense. I can get a pic of the gap mine has if you would like
Hey travis.. thanks for the info.. i don't need any pics... i ended up going with a Kobalt 2500 series from Lowes. i checked out the tractor supply boxes and i wasn't a fan of the latch system. i couldn't get a single on in the store to close from one side, i had to push it down in the middle to get both sides to latch. this kobalt box has handles that you pull instead of levers to open this thing. i love it. and it closes with one finger. even my GF can reach the handle and close it with one hand. i'll try to get a pic up later today when i get home of the handles. and fitment was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.