Just TWO Damn Questions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just TWO Damn Questions!

Ok guys its the same old story (White Smoke and DPF). Theres too much speakeasy around the EGR / DPF Delete process in this forum. What people need is an inexpensive and relativly straight forward way to get this emissions crap off their trucks. So lets cut the crap!

Thus, I have two questions that I need answered in general.

1. What is an inexpensive programmer/tuner that will preform a dpf delete on a 6.4 powerstroke? (By inexpensive Im talkin like under 300 bucks)

2. Can someone give me the link to the 08 Ford White Smoke Recall? I've seen it before...it was on Ford Letter Head and it discussed the White Smoke problem for the 08 F-350 6.4 and said dealer would preform a reflash. It also had an expiration date. Anyone got the link? Did anyone do it, did it work?

That is all!

Insert 2c below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check out the gearbox dpf r products. I think it's around 400 and does egr and dpf delete. Can't help with your other request sorry.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Under $300 hahahaha
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yeah, that's probably tough to find...my spartan with delete pipes and phalanx tuner was 1600 or so....used may be an option to get them for half that I suppose?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Any tuner that is actually worth putting on your truck will not be <$300. I'd love to have paid less for my H&S but $300 just isn't going to happen.

As they say, you have to pay to play. If you want a reliable and/or more powerful motor, you're going to have to pony up the $ and pay for the parts to do it the right way.

No help for your 2nd question.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm looking for a tuner under $1000. So good luck.

As for smoke I had mine reflased about 1000 miles ago and no more smoke vs. smoke every 100 miles or so.

I could not find a recall and Ford charged me 1 hr labor for the reflash. They said some times the program gets screwed up and the truck try's to burn when it doesn't need to which causes the smoke.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Im convinced all this huff over dpf delete tuners is BS!

Why would the EPA prevent someone from selling a dpf delete tuner?? It just dosn't make sense. 1st of all why the hell would they care, 2nd of all what authority do they have to govern commerce?

The tuner itself and the company producing it is not breaking the law by providing just goods. Its up to the public to choose to break a law by disabling emissions equipment. As long as the product comes with a disclaimer then the company assumes no liability. Its the same principal as guns don't kill people, people kill people.

You can buy drag tires, or high octane gas. Neither of which are legal to use hwy use but that doesn't keep companies from selling the products.

Further, I am under the general assumption (based on everything I have read) that the new tuners are no different than the old. The only exception is that the dpf delete screen/function is either hidden or locked. For a phone call to a sales rep and an additional fee they'd be glad to unlock the device for you!

So now we are down to buying a "street" tuner and paying a nominal $150 fee to unlock. 550 for street tuner plus 150 is $700 thats still cheaper than paying some idiot on CL for a used "race" tuner $1300. Because, he bought the "last shipment" or 300 brand new units.

This thing (to me) reeks of collusion!

So, aside from that (if anyone has read this far down) I take it that any plug in programmer with the ability to store custom tunes can delete the dpf. So a SCT tuner ($200 used) loaded with a custom written tune ($100) can get the job done. Whats wrong with this? Should work right?? Save the pipes of course and any labor spent installing the pipes and tuner.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM

The only "white smoke" problem I had was when the air temp and moisture level was just right and it was actually vapor. As for your deletes you have 2 options. Spend some money and do it right "H&S and Spartan" and "delete pipe w/ bungs" or spend BIG money fixing your engine when you half *** your setup.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorchrock View Post
The only "white smoke" problem I had was when the air temp and moisture level was just right and it was actually vapor. As for your deletes you have 2 options. Spend some money and do it right "H&S and Spartan" and "delete pipe w/ bungs" or spend BIG money fixing your engine when you half *** your setup.
I don't know what is causing the white smoke. Its so random I cant figure it out. All I know is that its a common problem with the 08 6.4.

I was reading another post (maybe another forum) and someone posted a link to a factory ford recall. It was dated 09 and I think, if i remember correctly, it expired in 2011. But it was legit and documented the problem and the suggested solution was to have the dealer update the engine control module.

It seems to be a problem with the regen process and the truck pumping too much fuel into the exhaust (regen or not) and the result is hot egt and white smoke.

Another common solution is to delete the dpf all together! Which, apparently is a suckers delight.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Just to throw a wrench in the gears here, all of the tuners have some sort of bus onboard to factory install the code before they get sent out. If someone with the expertise and equipment had both a race and street tuner, they could easily sniff the bus and catch what is happening onboard. This would allow them to possible dump the code between both and crack them. The problem is they are so expensive, this deters people from doing this.

Ultimately, we would only need the method to inject code to disable the DPF and EGR commands on the PCM. We could make a simple Arduino/CanBUS interface to inject this for about $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.