Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many miles on your 6.4?

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  itn69 
#1 ·
While looking for a 6.0, I can across a deal on a 6.4. It's an 08 f350 drw crew cab 4x4. It's got 220k and they are asking $12900. Is there a lot more life left in her? How many miles do you guys and gals have on yours?

#3 ·
I had 70k when i sold mine. 0 issues.

#8 ·
Very true, Great matenance is key to a healthy long lasting truck.

Tom

#5 ·
Just got back from the test drive. Really clean. Drives great. A few concerns though. Check engine light is on. P2452 p1335 p2453. It has 6398 hours and 220545 miles. Built in 7/08. Light haze when getting on it but clears up. Thoughts?

#10 ·
First thing if you get it would be to delete. Pull an oasis report. The light haze could be from the regen i suppose.

#11 ·
So are these codes something to worry about if they've been drove on for awhile?

#12 ·
Yeah if your planning to keep it stock that could be a pricey repair. If your wanting to delete then you will need at least a dpf delete capable tuner and cat/dpf delete pipe which is about 1500 maybe less maybe more. Personally I wouldn't buy it with those codes showing unless the seller fixes the problem. If its just bad sensors those are like 80 bucks a piece. If the dpf itself is bad that's 1000 bucks.
Really if you don't have emissions testing to worry about then buy it and get all that crap removed via tuner, dpf/cat delete, and egr delete kit and some wrench turning time.

#13 ·
If I do get it i would defiantly do dpf delete with a tuner. I'm just wondering if any damage is done that would rear its ugly head after the dpf delete?

#15 ·
So I could do the egr, dpf, and tuner for $1500? That's not bad IMO. I'd have about $15000 in the truck after the deletes and tuner.

#17 ·
Thanks for the help flashover. If anyone else has any advice, please feel free to share. Tomorrow I will be going back to get vin and run an oasis report. I will report back with details.

#18 ·
R u handy under the hood? R u knowledgable about these trucks? U may end up wrenchin on it more than u want and the bills can add up-especially if u pay someone else to do the work. Ur buyin a truck (6.4) that has a known history of issues. I love my truck- just make sure u think clearly when u purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
Of course I'm handy under the hood, I currently own a cummins.

#21 ·
Ok, just got back looking at the truck again. I took it for another test drive. Good lord that thing has some power!! I drove the snot out of it! Got back to lot and pulled the oil dip stick and smoke (blow-by?) rolled out of the oil tube. I'm thinking this is not common?

#23 ·
It would shoot up about a foot and dissipate. I should have took off the oil cap and checked but I didn't. Did a search and the blow by seems pretty common on the 6.4. I will go back tomorrow and video it and then post it up.

#24 · (Edited)
Blow by is normal.

With regards to purchase, I personally would not purchase a 220K mile stock 6.4. You can do some searching on here, but due to the number of miles and maintenance dependent requirements, and the number of trucks that are out there with fewer miles, I would look elsewhere.

I don't mean to discourage you, but that's a lot of miles for a stock 6.4 (these trucks stock have a tendency to have some repetitive issues from emissions equipment that can can lead to some SERIOUS issues that are very expensive), and unless the motor was recently rebuilt or you plan on doing a rebuild soon and you have deep pockets, keep looking. A lot of guys get themselves in financial holes purchasing these trucks with little knowledge of the ins and outs of the 6.4 motor, and end up blaming the blue oval for their lack of research with both the truck being purchased and on the motor.

PM me if you want more elaboration. I searched for 6 months before i bought my 6.4. There is a LOT of really good purchasing advice on the ORG. Search carefully and don't settle for the first truck you come across.

My two cents.

#25 ·
Yeah, I agree. Think I may pass on this one.

#26 ·
The dealer said he would throw in a 2 year 24k warranty for asking price. Still not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.