6 MPG When pulling 38 ft toy hauler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 MPG When pulling 38 ft toy hauler

What are you guys getting for fuel mileage with larger 5th wheels?

I have a 2008 crew cab 4x4 with 6 inch lift on 20 inch wheels with 35's. Truck has 3:73 gears and is all stock.

Toy hauler is 38.5 ft and weighs 12,000 without cargo. With cargo it weighs in at 14,500 lbs. Toy hauler has a 7 inch lift also.

Truck only gets around 6 MPG when pulling 65-70 mph. Does this mileage seem low or is this the norm when pulling that much weight? When pulling on flat land to sand dunes only get 6.5 mpg and average 5.5 to 7 when pulling up in the mountains. The 5.5 is going up there to camp and 7 mpg is coming back down.

Do you think re gearing the truck will make a big difference? Truck is a turd when pulling up big hills and will not maintain 65 mpg speed limit. Truck will maintain 50 mpg without keeping it pinned to floor. Tires and lift are killing me. Truck starts bogging down then drops 2 gears and runs between 2500-3000 when pulling hills. I don't want to pin it to the floor cuz I have no idea how high EGT's get up too.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't pull with a lifted truck. It's nice when heading to sand dunes or off reading but rest of the time it sucks.

Just wondering what the rest of you guys are getting. Dirty max guys with similar setups are claiming 9 to 10 mpg. It cost me almost .70 cents a mile when pulling my toy hauler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

your lifts arent helping at all.

do you have any engine mods?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 PM

You are getting about the best your going to get, I pull a 35' 5th wheel weighs out @ 14,740, I have mods listed and use the Spartan 210 Tow performance tune and get a steady 12/13, need to delete, get the truck breathing and you should improve to around at least 10/11. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt dong View Post
your lifts arent helping at all.

do you have any engine mods?
No engine mods
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenn View Post
You are getting about the best your going to get, I pull a 35' 5th wheel weighs out @ 14,740, I have mods listed and use the Spartan 210 Tow performance tune and get a steady 12/13, need to delete, get the truck breathing and you should improve to around at least 10/11. Good luck!
I would be very happy if I could get 10 mpg pulling toy hauler. You have a ton of mods. So tuner, DPF delete, exhaust, intake tube and air filter filter might pick up 3-4 mpg?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM

as stated do your mods and drive conservatively and you will gain mpgs.

also youre near the legal limit of towing capacity so youre engine is working hard to pull it.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:50 PM

The poor MPGs are caused by your rear (3.73 ratio) . Being lifted makes it a little worse.
3.73s are the best rears when driving empty, esp. at higher speeds or towing lightly.
You might ask up to what ?
IDK. You have to play with it to find out.

Now when you look at your truck's rated capacities, that dosnt mean........ you cant max it, but dosnt mean you will get decent mpg either.

3.73 gears is your ratio on 4th (the speed your TC locks). Under load & stress your tranny downshifts........so now you are on 3rd with a ratio of 5.70 or so and if that is inadequate for the load, it will throw it on 2nd with a ratio of 8.some witch is alot higher than.........say 4.30 ratio on my 450.

That results in your engine reving up & dumping fuel thus giving you those kind of MPGs.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 AM

You might wanna look in here under "swap or for trade" section for someone wanting to get your low gears for their higher ones.
I think, judging by what you pull, you will be ok with 4.10s (but dont hold me to that).

Hopefully someone with rear gearing experience will chime in.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Delete and tune would be cheaper, easier and make more of a difference than gears. Just in my opinion but most will agree.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM

As others have stated, getting deleted and tuned will help improve MPG, but IMHO slowing down will give the most improvement. I have a 37 ft. Toy Hauler and the first time I towed with it I got 7.5 on the lie-o-meter. That was trying to maintain 65 to 70 MPH, even going up hills. On the trip back I traveled at 62-63, and never let the boost go above 20 lbs. Going up hills and not letting boost go above 20 lbs. meant it would go slower. On the larger hills it would drop back to fourth gear. Keeping the discipline to never go over 20lbs of boost netted me 10 MPG on the lie-o-meter. The big tires are also hurting you as you are not in the right rpm range. I don't think the lift is hurting you much when you are towing, as the fiver is a lot taller than the truck. If you still have the stock ST tires on your fiver, they are only speed rated to 65 MPH anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.