New to me 6.4 -- Should I warranty or do the mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me 6.4 -- Should I warranty or do the mods?

Hi all. I'm mostly a lurker and have read tons about this truck and the 7.3, of which I've had three. I'm new to the 6.4 and I have read completely the bullet-proofing post (great info) and about 30 or so other threads related to this topic.

My question is this. Should I buy a $2,000 warranty (bumper to bumper 5 years/100K miles) or put $2,000 into upgrades/mods.

History: I just bought a Texas truck that is bone stock except for the B&W turnover in the bed. All emissions equipment still on it. 171,000 miles and no indications of any trouble. One owner, all services performed faithfully, only bulletin performed was the radiator. Vast majority of miles were obviously Texas highway miles.

My predicament is I intend to do some long-term travelling with this as my only transportation for the better part of a year. I will be pulling a 15k+ fifth wheel.

I like the idea of a warranty (service contract) because it covers me for unforeseen trouble. However, I can see *any* warranty company trying to weasel out of a repair bill because of "pre-existing" conditions that I have no way of knowing about. I also like the warranty idea because I won't have facilities to do my own work.

I like the idea of bullet-proofing because I know the major trouble (and limiting factor regarding power) with this engine is the emissions garbage. I also like this idea because I intend to declare residence in a rural locale that does not require smog, like my current Reno, NV does. The part that worries me is if I remove the emissions to prolong the engine life, the big question mark (and possibly repair bill) becomes the transmission. I'm not interested in more power as much as I am more longevity out of this rig.

Someone please help me make the right choice. I guess the third option is to just sell this sweet truck and buy yet another 7.3 and trick it out (built engine and tranny) with the money from the price difference.

Should I be nervous of this truck? It is so smooth and the power is great. Quite different from the 7.3 with those two turbos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My experience was that I needed the warranty before deleting. Many visits to the dealer my first year. After things fell off, the warranty hasn't been used once in 3 years.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your input. The verbiage in *every* warranty I've looked at specifically prohibits modifications to exhaust and/or emissions systems. So if I opt that direction, I'm stuck with what's on the truck for 5 years/100k miles. That or voiding my warranty.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Don't you worry about it

I bought my truck with 40k miles on it and bought a 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty and used the hell out of it. It's a toss up.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Tough to say what to do. On a truck with that many miles, I'd be tempted to go with the extended bumper to bumper warranty. I think there's a potential for other issues to present themselves other than those that would/could be resolved with a tuner. Then again, my truck has about 50,000 miles on it and my Oasis report reads like a book. Everything from a cracked DPF to getting the interior leather replaced in my truck.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Many people are tempted... and then burned when the warranty company won't cover anything
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
Many people are tempted... and then burned when the warranty company won't cover anything
...and now you've beautifully articulated my dilemma...

I'm tempted but in every single aftermarket warranty I've looked at (and I've looked at every "reputable" company out there that I can find), they specifically exempt "EGR/Emissions" equipment from coverage. This means that if the problem that causes engine failure originated from the EGR, I'm hosed. Not only out the $2k for the warranty, but now the repair bill also...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't you worry about it

Yes I forgot this important detail. If it is not a ford warranty or a warranty through a good credit union I wouldn't touch it. My warranty was a ford premium care warranty.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
Yes I forgot this important detail. If it is not a ford warranty or a warranty through a good credit union I wouldn't touch it. My warranty was a ford premium care warranty.
Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. I haven't gone to the dealer yet, but I'm guessing that once the factory warranty expires, there are no options to renew.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Keith, your truck is very nice. I'd eventually like to get to that point. When you say in your post above "used the hell out of it", is that the warranty or the truck? If you had problems, what were they?

Anybody else? What problems did you have aside from the EGR/DPF-related ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.