Dpf question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dpf question

Just drove 12 hrs to Florida in an 08 f250 with the stock dpf. For 3yrs when the truck has gone into regen, it would say"cleaning exhaust system" for a few seconds and then the message would go away and it would do its thing. Twice on my trip it displayed "drive to clean exhaust system" and then "cleaning exhaust system" would stay up on the message screen the entire time it did the regen. Why did it display different these two times? Is my truck trying to tell me it was about to clog up my dpf or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
Did you take it to the dealer recently? They usually will update your ECM when its in for some other service and this could have caused the change in the way it displayed.
I would say your DPF is just fine. You will know when it plugs up, because if I remember correctly the engine will go into limp mode and check eng light will illuminate.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah mine was just reflashed after they did all kinds of work before selling it, and it has both things appear on the screen.

PS that DPF thing sucks for MPG, holy cow. Oh and power lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 AM

I hate to sound like a broken record, but 6.4's are total different beast with deletes. You may consider deleting if you plan on keeping the truck for the long haul.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo kidd View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but 6.4's are total different beast with deletes. You may consider deleting if you plan on keeping the truck for the long haul.
Haha, man are you right. Just did mine last night and really can't get over the difference. I thought having my 6.0 tuned, full turbo back exhaust, and all that jazz was nice, well it doesn't have anything compared to just a DPF delete DP back exhaust and canned tunes.

I can't wait for CAI and custom tunes. I just realized I didn't get my serial number for Gearhead to write cutom tunes from my tuner so I have to wait until Monday to send for them
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much does it cost to do the delete? I just bought an 08f250. Needs a little work but only paid 16'900 for it
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cj5 View Post
Why did it display different these two times? Is my truck trying to tell me it was about to clog up my dpf or something?
When you drive for extended periods, the DPF is able to passively regen which helps to lengthen out the time between active regens (active regen = CLEANING EXHAUST SYSTEM). If the truck is in active regen and it gets interrupted a few times (not being able to complete the cycle), you will get the DRIVE TO CLEAN EXHAUST SYSTEM message, which is basically telling you to go find a highway and drive for 15-20 minutes (varies) to complete the active regen cycle. Eventually, if you never get to finish the active regen cycle, at some point you will find yourself with a CEL and a trip to the dealer.

The best way to deal with this is to TUNE & DELETE!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. The last reply actually makes sense because in the week leading up to my trip, the truck tried to go through 2 or 3 regens and all my trips were short stop and go trips across town and the regens never completed. Thanks to all for the replies but the factory stuff is gonna stay on the truck. I don't care about huge hp or torque numbers and I have a hard time justifying the cost for just a couple extra mpg's.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75cj5 View Post
I don't care about huge hp or torque numbers and I have a hard time justifying the cost for just a couple extra mpg's.
Well alrighty then... But I should throw in that the more nannies you remove, the more reliable your truck will be. The way my truck is now, I get slightly better mpg than stock, but all the other benefits are the ones that keep me happy.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess when I start seeing those reliability issues due to the dpf,I'll eat crow for that last statement. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.