Whats safe power levels on non-studded 6.4?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats safe power levels on non-studded 6.4??

Hey guys have a couple questions. I have an 08 6.4 that i'm running h&s 5inch exhaust and a cai. I am in the process of deleting the egr now. With stock head bolts,what is the max headgasket safe tune level I can run? I have the HD tunes and would like to run the HD300 but dont wanttoif it will stand a big risk of lifting the heads. I drive my truck pretty normal I have a very good preception on when I'm being hard on my truck and when I'm just running it. I like to race I'm not going to lie,I dont hook loads to it and run hot tunes wide open or anything like that. My cousin blew his hg's with stock bolts running HD300,he seldomly runs it hard but doesn't baby his truck by all means. I am really concerned about strecting my bolts and blowing my gaskets but I want the most performance I can get with the stock bolts without the big risk.

If I keep the low boost fueling turned down doesnt that help save my HG's? Can I run hotter tunes with low boost fueling down? like now I am running low boost fueling 3 with medium tunes up to 250hp.. Sorry if I'm jumping around in the post just trying to get it all out there. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I run the hd300 daily I'm not studded. I baby my truck, but atleast once a week I get it on it like a mad man and hit 40-46 psi on a good 1/4 long run service rd by a highway I drive around alot. I've hit 51 psi a few times. I tow a few times a year but other than that she's babied besides when an *** whoopin is being asked for, like today a BMW 325 thought he was somethin, well that's exactly what happened- he thought he was somethin lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM

Oh yeah man I would think that would be fine just jumpin' on it from time to time.or well especially when a fancy sports car or a cummins guy wants to put it to the test lol but I just wanted some knowledgeable peoples opinions on it. Not sure what causes my cousins 6.4 to blow the hg's. I was kinda dissapointed..
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yeah I think Bout every time I drive, especially when I get on it- I think to myself "I can't afford to blow head gaskets right now" and then I hit the peddle lol. It's a crap shoot I think, but these head bolts are alot stronger than the 6 uh oh's where. I bet some other members will chime in with some different scenarios and better input than I did- I just don't have any experience with blown hg's yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 AM

I would say, the lower the power level on a tuner………….the safer the truck.
I just cannot guaranty you that…………..I don’t think anyone can.

I got mine set on HD 300 (cause I like it) with boost level on 3. I drive the crap out of it. So far my truck has not complained.
On the other hand, my buddy/neighbor has an 09 KR. He is studded & got every mod there is, on the book. He is one of those, who tests his oil twice (making sure they match).
When he drives…………he turns the radio off every 5 min (on my fuc#*ng favorite song) so he can listen to the engine running. Im telling you man………..he is a trip.

At the end, it is HIS truck that acts up & throws codes & sh!t.

Same thing with our 6 litters.
His was “bullet proofed” and mine was lightly moded.
His rig was down………….…at least three times……………I can remember.

Mine ……….? I put 230K on it. Nooooo problem. One time (it was winter) mine would start hard and go clung…….clung……..clung until it wormed up. A week later would not start in the morning…………..so I grabbed some starting fluid, take my air filter off and on second attempt………..BROOOOOOM, it started right up. Ran just fine another year till I sold it.

He cannot believe how I do things. I cannot look him in the eyes………….cause that makes me laugh.

I really believe these trucks have adaptive behaviors to your driving habits. Your truck reflects you.
If you think your truck might let you down…………..it WILL.

Id say step on it, till it starts begging for mercy.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Im playing it safe, so Im running the 250 tune. I plan on doing studs one day but Ive heard it will cost about $3500 to do it right.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Well, its a hit and miss situation, I my truck only went WOT 4 times and I have blown head gaskets, while other people sit and romp on the HD300 tune all day long and their heads gaskets do not fail... its a hit and miss
Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 AM

My 6.4 runs a 310 Spartan tune and I've been down the track at least 12 times "posted some vids" and at least 5 highway runs. The question is not if but when. It will happen but luckily my truck is not burning oil, leaking any fluids and all my levels are good. Proper maintenance is a must. I'll drain the fule filter about every other week just because and change my oil every 3500 miles. I run Diesel Kleen at every fill up also. The only thing that has broken is my transfer case. I'm thinking Ford didn't change the fluid when the other owner had it in under warranty. Thats a diffrent story. Either way....have fun with the truck but understand **** will break.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What JOB # is your 08? when i bought my tuner and all from spartan they said dont run anything over a 275 tune if its a job1 truck. if its a job1 you can get the transmision control module and run the higher tunes. if its a job 2 or 3 then your just limited to what your head gaskets can take i assume. i didnt wanna risk my trans without the TCM so i only run the 275 and been doing it for the last 3 years
Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F450Harley View Post
I would say, the lower the power level on a tuner………….the safer the truck.
I just cannot guaranty you that…………..I don’t think anyone can.

I got mine set on HD 300 (cause I like it) with boost level on 3. I drive the crap out of it. So far my truck has not complained.
On the other hand, my buddy/neighbor has an 09 KR. He is studded & got every mod there is, on the book. He is one of those, who tests his oil twice (making sure they match).
When he drives…………he turns the radio off every 5 min (on my fuc#*ng favorite song) so he can listen to the engine running. Im telling you man………..he is a trip.

At the end, it is HIS truck that acts up & throws codes & sh!t.

Same thing with our 6 litters.
His was “bullet proofed” and mine was lightly moded.
His rig was down………….…at least three times……………I can remember.

Mine ……….? I put 230K on it. Nooooo problem. One time (it was winter) mine would start hard and go clung…….clung……..clung until it wormed up. A week later would not start in the morning…………..so I grabbed some starting fluid, take my air filter off and on second attempt………..BROOOOOOM, it started right up. Ran just fine another year till I sold it.

He cannot believe how I do things. I cannot look him in the eyes………….cause that makes me laugh.

I really believe these trucks have adaptive behaviors to your driving habits. Your truck reflects you.
If you think your truck might let you down…………..it WILL.

Id say step on it, till it starts begging for mercy.
LOL, I think we have the same buddy/neighbor. Same kind of stuff happens to him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.