Finally got on a Dyno - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Finally got on a Dyno

Got to put my truck on a Dyno today, not too bad of a run, HP was 435, really thought it'd be in the 500 range; Torque was 894, I expected that. I'm happy with the numbers, I at least know what my truck can do now. Next step is the 1/4 mile time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What are your mods?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

5" Turbo Back, AFE Stg 2, Livewire w/ River City Diesel's 525HP tune.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I do feel with my mods that I should've at least been in the upper 400's if not 500, or am I dreaming? I have to find a shop in my area that does it, and not just a mobile machine.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Hunter of Trolls

you were well over five at the crank... you're going to lose a good 20~25% through the drivetrain...

don't get worked up over horsepower.. it doesn't mean a dang thing, though we want it to.. torque is where it's at... those twisties are what makes horsepower, and what mr. dyno operator actually measures before starting calculations to derive HP from..

most folks know this, I know- but not a lot of folks think about it in this way:

torque is spinning power.. horsepower is rate of work.. if you're making 500#sq.inch of torque, that's how much grip you'd have to have on the crank to stop it from spinning.. if you slap a wheel on the crank, and attach a rope- how fast you can snatch a predetermined amount of weight off the ground is the rate of work- or horsepower..

these things puke torque.. the ratio is out of whack in favor of torque, because torque is what they are designed for.. all engines are, but the gearing and the very nature of compressed burn on these makes use of torque instead of gearing it out to HP by the design of the OEM..

if you're more interested in making HP, then make use of all that torque you've got laying around... use a higher ratio (numerically lower) at the diff... use taller tires.. both effectively increase your overall drive ratio, take more torque to operate, but do more work quicker (aka HP).. realize, though, that cutting into the torque you're not using will make the truck lose momentum easier, and hunt for gears a lot more.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Well just talked to the guys that did the tuning, they said they doubt my truck was that low, they said their tune is guaranteed for 500hp or better at the rear. They said they think the dyno was the issue, said there is a great margin of error with portable dynos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.