Thinkin about the 6.4-HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinkin about the 6.4-HELP

Hey guys

So its about that time for a new ride (well for my old man anyways)
We have long been a ford family, he still has a 99 f350 (the one that needs to go) and I have a 06 6.0 but that 99 just cant hang anymore, therefore we're looking to get him a new truck. After lots of discussion I've steered him away from the idea of getting a 6.0 only because he's getting up there in age and I don't want him trying to do a lot of maintence like the 6.0 usually requires, so we've been talking about the 6.4
Unfortunatally I don't know a whole lot about the 6.4 and its list of problems. I know they can be amazing trucks and their possibilities can be endless if the exhaust crap is taken off but I just wanted some background info on whether these trucks are worth it. Like is it worth buying one and ripping off the exhaust/EGR system? how much does this benefit the truck if used for everyday things? MPG with and without the exhaust system? Do they hold up body wise etc.
any help would be great
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

This question pops up here everyday. To make this short and sweet. The 6.4 has the potential to be a beast. But the maintenance on them if not kept up can lead to some enormous problems. I love my 6.4 and wouldn't trade it for any truck on the rode but I always did a ton of research on this forum before I made my purchase. Just read and read and read there is a ton of good info on the 6.4 now.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

what he said.....
I have a 09 crew with short bed and 3:73 gears. stock suspension stock motor i saw around 14 mpg on average....... stock suspension with DPF delete (5" flo pro exhaust) and H&S on 300 tune i saw 20-22 mpg on the lie-o-meter. normally it hand calculated 2mpg less then the screen.
4.5" Icon 35" mudgrapplers...tuned deleted.... 16-18 on the lie-o-meter
I see mostly highway driving on those number as well. not as much city driving
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
There is some great information in the 6.4 general section- read the stickie! This will answer a lot of your questions and lead to some new ones as well. So start there and let us know how else we can help ya

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM

thanks to all of you who replied! I appreciate the help on this matter. I've been reading a lot of the threads on here and have been learning quite a bit. The only thing that concerns me is that there does seem to be a lot of up keep on the 6.4. I'm afraid it may be to much for an old man!! But I'll keep looking and learning.

By far the most helpful site with the best people
Thanks again
Old 05-17-2013, 02:37 PM

The regular maintenance isnt bad if your a do-it- yourselfer, but thats the key REGULAR , maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.