DPF Regen Frequency and Notifications? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF Regen Frequency and Notifications?

I took a leap of faith and bought a 2008 F250 after reading and reading and reading about everything on every forum for weeks. I absolutely love the truck. It has 140500 miles, 1500 of which I've put on it so far. Anyhow, the first thing I was concerned with was obviously my EOT/ECT and DPF. I bought a Scangauge to use on all of my test drives before I bought anything.

So far, I have been watching my display and EGTs without and indication so far in the last 1500 miles of a DPF regen. I literally drove 250 miles one day just to watch it regen and I still haven't been able to get any indication that it is happening. Yes, there is a DPF and no tuner on the truck (yet).

I know it will regen at some point, but is this normal to go so long without happening? I see my EGTs going from 450-650 depending on level or grade driving. I leave my dash display on the average MPG screen. From what I've read, it will flash me a quick note about cleaning the exhaust system and go away when in regen and my EGTs should spike for some arbitrary duration until complete.

Last edited by Expirobo; 05-10-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 06:20 AM

1500 seems like a very long time without a regen. Are you sure the dpf is still installed? If it is then is it possible that it may just be hollowed out?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if this truck has never been reprogrammed with the latest calibration at some point , it is possible for the display to not give you a warning when it is in regen , i have heard this complaint before and have spent some time with a couple trucks where they didnt , some of the early production trucks ive been involved with never gave warning but with that said , the vehicle did have a slight loss of power when in regen even without the warning
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure if that it hasn't done a regen since I bought it, especially with 140k miles. The Oasis report says the PCM was reflashed as a recall/TSB at 60k miles. I'm not sure that it will indicate that it is in regen unless I know what flash was installed. Anyhow, the DPF is not hollowed out to my knowledge. Regardless of the PCM flash, the EGTs should spike to somewhere around 1000+ degrees right?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
I'm not sure if that it hasn't done a regen since I bought it, especially with 140k miles. The Oasis report says the PCM was reflashed as a recall/TSB at 60k miles. I'm not sure that it will indicate that it is in regen unless I know what flash was installed. Anyhow, the DPF is not hollowed out to my knowledge. Regardless of the PCM flash, the EGTs should spike to somewhere around 1000+ degrees right?
Yes you should probably see that or even a little higher.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
I took a leap of faith and bought a 2008 F250 after reading and reading and reading about everything on every forum for weeks. I absolutely love the truck. It has 140500 miles, 1500 of which I've put on it so far. Anyhow, the first thing I was concerned with was obviously my EOT/ECT and DPF. I bought a Scangauge to use on all of my test drives before I bought anything.

So far, I have been watching my display and EGTs without and indication so far in the last 1500 miles of a DPF regen. I literally drove 250 miles one day just to watch it regen and I still haven't been able to get any indication that it is happening. Yes, there is a DPF and no tuner on the truck (yet).

I know it will regen at some point, but is this normal to go so long without happening? I see my EGTs going from 450-650 depending on level or grade driving. I leave my dash display on the average MPG screen. From what I've read, it will flash me a quick note about cleaning the exhaust system and go away when in regen and my EGTs should spike for some arbitrary duration until complete.
--------------------------------

I bought my 2008 new. It now has 167K. On my truck Regen occurs between 150 and 300 miles depending on type of driving.
Several years ago I bought a Dashdaq/spartan mainly for monitoring the 300 plus Ford specific parameters. One of which is regen active. I have the latest flash updates. When my truck goes into regen the EGT cycles between about 1000 and a max of 1350 driving between 60 and 65 MPH. At that speed the regen completes in 15-20 miles of driving. The regen notification will flash on the dash but I rarely notice the light. I do monitor the regen active signal on the DashDaq/Spartan, so I know when regen starts and ends.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 PM

If only there was a code that would indicate regen status on the scangauge. I bet there is a CANBUS hex code that I can monitor that will show me the bit's status on the system.

I might call them to see if they have something that I can program in to show it. Anyhow, not toooooo worried about it but I want to get a baseline on the regen frequency to keep track of the health of the DPF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.