Might be getting one. Things to look out for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What should I go for?
keep your 6.0 1 6.25%
get a 6.4 10 62.50%
wait til the 6.7 drops in price and get it used 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might be getting one. Things to look out for?

Title says it all. I know these trucks have a lot of issues because they were rushed into production. I have a 6.0 currently and I love it but Im entertaining the idea of upgrading because I like the look and the quietness of the 6.4.

I know some of the issues stem from the DPF and can be taken care of by straight piping it. The issues with the cooling system -like the water pump corroding and the radiator leaking and even some thing about corrosion on the engine blocks- scare me a great deal. Can anyone enlighten me on what to look out for, or what work the truck should already have done to it before I buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

All choises are great!!! If you want stock reliable power the 6.7 is the way to go.... if you want speed, speed, power, balls, and towing power the 6.4 is the way to go... if you want a real diesel sound, with good power, sexy turbo tones, and just a badass truck the 6.0 is the way to go
Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy what makes you happy! Just check the oasis, most of the issues with coolant and water pump have been fixed through recalls and repairs...if it needs a repair just ask the seller to take that off the price. If you buy from a big dealer with a good reputation they will usually take care of all the common problems with the 6.4... Like finishing up any TSBs that need done...happy hunting! I love my 6.4, cab is amazing coming from a 99, repairs on my. 6.4 are pricey, but I didn't like them on my 7.3 either...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Oh and lower mileage 6.4 the better, the less oil dilution the motor has experienced with a dpf the better...in general anyway, but there are no 100% guarantees in buying any truck...
Good luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry stupid question but what is a TSB?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Technical service broadcast I think...I just know its a message ford sends out about issues with cars/trucks and what to do about it...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM

I think the 6.4 is a darn good engine. Double check the radiator and coolant nitirites before you buy. Also the DPF delete tuners are becoming hard to come by, so keep that in mind. You can still find them just keep it in mind. What have you done to your 6.0? if you have alot invested into it, it may be a better choice to just keep it and do some more upgrades to get the power you want.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Job 1, Job 2, or Job 3 could have something to do with some of the problems you are going to possibly have. I have a Job 1 and had some issues with the radiator and CAC early on but those have been resolved. If you do go the 6.4 route i would strongly recommend deleting all the emissions. I came in as one of those guys who just likes to leave a truck stock and not fiddle with it. But once my EGR failed and the DPF was regenerating every 150 miles leaving me with around 10 MPG i knew something had to be done. The 6.4's are Ford's emissions guinea pig, hence why they are the majority of what problems you are going to have with them. 6.7 is a better truck straight off the lot but very pricey. A tuned 6.4 that is maintenanced right is very tough to beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, buyer, problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.