EGT while towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT while towing

Well, I just took my 8000 lb. 5th wheel for a test tow. Everything looked good on my ScanGauge II, except maybe the EGT. I'm reading the temp. from the EGR1 sensor in the passenger side up pipe. I went about 5 miles out and back, 60 mph, rolling hills with two flats about a half mile long each. Up the larger hills the EGT hit 1225* for 7-8 sec. and it really wasn't a long hill . On the other hills 800*-900*. On the down hill and flats 700-750*. No cruise control and tow/haul was on. Ambient temp about 80*. I will be taking a trip next week and will encounter one hill about one mile long with maybe a 7-8% grade. Just wondering how it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Something's wrong with my sig. It's showing a truck I used to have and not what's showing in the user CP. I have a 2010 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, FX4,Sterling Gray Metallic, 79k miles, XDP coolant filter, Truxedo Lo-Pro tonneau cover
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1200 is a pretty safe temp for towing on grades. Now if you see 1400 thats when you should start getting worried.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM

That was the most I ever saw hauling my 9Klb car trailer. It was not that common for me. I would not worry to much. If you get to hot the computer should shut back your power before you hurt anything. I do know the newer diesels can take more heat longer than the older ones, like the 7.3.

The thing that concerns me most while towing is seeing the boost gauge hit 40lbs of pressure regularly.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its a stock truck? You can hold it to the floor if you want while towing 20k lbs
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wargle, do you have the Xcodes for the EGR1 temp sensor in the passenger up-pipe? I have been looking for that for my 6.4! I have searched forever and only found the x-codes for all the dpf exhaust gas temp sensors...I would greatly appreciate it if you could get those numbers for me! If your not sure how I can help...On the linear logic website they only give us the 3 dpf sensors and my calls to customer service have only got me a "an engineer will call you back" which hasn't happened...thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM

rt_hawk...these are the x-codes for the EGR1 temp sensor:

TXD=07E022115F
RXF=04620511065F
RXD=3010
MTH=00090032FFD8
NAM=EGT (my designation ERA in original program)

Hope it helps.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Awesome!! you rock wargle!! I put it in and it works great! A little lower in temp than my stand alone EGT gauge by around 50-75*. It's hard to tell exactly where my analog gauge is at, but my analog gauge probe is in the exhaust manifold and not the up-pipe also. Damn if I only would have found this a couple months ago I could have saved myself a hundred bucks... Oh well, again, thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM

The Sensor In The Up Pipe Is Reading pre-Turbo temp. I Would Think It Might Read A Little Higher Than Post Turbo Probe In The Exhaust Manifold. Anyway, Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM

I think you have it switched, the other gauge i have is a stand alone analog gauge, I drilled and tapped a spot for the probe in the exhaust manifold right off the motor, the spot the EGR1 sensor is at is down the line in the exhaust flow stream...I don't have any post turbo sensors anymore, so I can't read them, because I deleted my dpf...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.