2008 6.4 Filter Back exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2008 6.4 Filter Back exhaust

OK so my dad has a 2008 6.4 powerstroke, Super cab long bed with a Reading utility body, SRW. My dad is getting pissed because the truck constantly gets 11.2-11.8 mpgs. when he got it it got around 9-10 then we drilled about a dozen 3/4 holes in the air box cover with a hole saw and it went up into the 11 range. To be honest this is still horrible, his 7.3 before this thing got like 14-15 all day long even when we towed or hammered on it!!

i was just wondering, has anyone done a filter back exhaust system? like a 4" straight pipe all the way out. I know this would delete the muffler and the other little can on the tailpipe which in turn would lower EGTs a bit and from what they say boost HP. i know it wont make it much louder because of the STUPID cat and DPF.

We were going to do the CAT/DPF delete, but with him being a contractor, he didn't want to have to deal with the state cops up here in MA because they have been cracking down and checking almost all commercial guys trucks out very thoroughly, and of course its illegal to delete the emissions.

So long story short has anyone seen MPG increases with an ONLY FILTER BACK straight pipe, and would it cause any problems without the finned tip to cool the DPF?

help us out guys, we decided to come here before just throwing money around!

thanks
-Zac and Nate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Filter back exhaust is a huge waste of money and purely for looks
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

I agree, filter back is going to provide little performance gains and the muffler adds to comfort in the cab.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What these guys said ^^ , i did a mbrp dpf back exhauast and wasted my money ,use it towards the full dpf delete , egr delete ,coolant filter set up or bypass oil filter kit ,
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel23 View Post
What these guys said ^^ , i did a mbrp dpf back exhauast and wasted my money ,use it towards the full dpf delete , egr delete ,coolant filter set up or bypass oil filter kit ,
at this point i think my father is very much against the DPF delete, considering the good tuner, the H&S, is 1200 bucks with the delete tunes, plus the exhaust pipes is about another 300 or so. its not cheap, plus the fines for running a deleted truck, as much as i want him to do it, can really hurt the wallet. if it was a passenger truck i would make him delete it, but since its commercial and for work its much more liable to being checked out by the EPs and such. which suckkss
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolson View Post
at this point i think my father is very much against the DPF delete, considering the good tuner, the H&S, is 1200 bucks with the delete tunes, plus the exhaust pipes is about another 300 or so. its not cheap, plus the fines for running a deleted truck, as much as i want him to do it, can really hurt the wallet. if it was a passenger truck i would make him delete it, but since its commercial and for work its much more liable to being checked out by the EPs and such. which suckkss
Maybe consider a DPF delete with a H&S Mini and hollow out the DPF....leave it on for visual purposes. If you run a mild tune with 0 LBF (Low Boost Fueling), the truck will not smoke much at all....problem solved? The only problem with that is you will need to keep the EGR coolers on, but that is not that big of a deal. Don't get me wrong it would be beter without those coolers too, but the 6.4's don't have nearly as many failures as the 6.0's did.

Good Luck,
Karl (Turbo kidd)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Yea we thought about that too, but then at that point if it comes to the point where you want to put the dpf back on to sell it or trade it in, its 3 grand for the DPF you destroyed so its a good and bad idea at the same time if you see what I'm sayin
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolson View Post
Yea we thought about that too, but then at that point if it comes to the point where you want to put the dpf back on to sell it or trade it in, its 3 grand for the DPF you destroyed so its a good and bad idea at the same time if you see what I'm sayin

I hear you, but you can pick-up a used DPF for about $250 +/-. You could get one of those for about the price of an aftermarket exhaust and keep your "Good" DPF for the what if's? Either way, good luck
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm with turbo kidd. Either delete it or don't mess with it. Deleting is the only thing that will increase mileage.

I would pick up a clogged DPF and hollow it along with doing block off plates for the EGRs to stop the hot airflow but still look stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM

If I were you I would leave it by sounds of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, filter back system, mpg increaser, muffler delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.