9,500 miles on filters- Pics- How they look? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
9,500 miles on filters- Pics- How they look?

How's the fuel filters lookin? 9500 miles on em, motorcraft filters

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by mts678; 05-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks fine to me. Main thing you look for is in the fuel bowl for metal shavings
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Looks good for 9500 miles!!

Tom
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Look better than the ones that were in mine when I bought it.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

ok thanks for the replies..Here's my last oil report from blackstone- feel free to point anything out that blackstone didn't..I don't know as much about oils as they do, so if they left anything out please point it out!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OIL REPORT.PDF (223.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 AM

Those filters look dirty to me and the water seperator one is mangled.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Mangled- yes lol. I had to fight that one out of there that's why the filter media looks mangled / lose.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Those filter look good for 9,500 miles. I assume you are using an additive with your fill-ups? If so what are you using?

On a side note...over the years I have tried many different additives and filled up at different locations. I always eaxamine my filter(s) when I change them. I have noticed that my favorite fuel stop (They sell a ton of diesel) allows me to go longer on my filters. They look so clean compared to other places I used to go to. When I would stop off at the cheapest place in Chicago, my filters were black as coal when I would change them, and there was always a ton of water when I would drain my seperator. Now I very rarely see water in my fuel and my filter look clean.

The bottom line is your filters are directly related to the quality of fuel your truck uses.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to hound
My bottom will usually look the same or worse at 10-15k and the top always looks brand new.

I've tested with Blackstone 6 times and now I have no fear about taking the oil to 15,000-17,500. Everything looks really good at those distances but the viscosity does start to fall below 66 SUS Viscosity. They target 66-78. Perhaps that is the shearing everyone talks about. Your oil looks good.

I put in a FS2500 and I notice the that the aluminum and Iron stay lower but the Insolubles% is the same; always .03. My aluminum is 3-4ppm and Iron is 15-30. These are 10,000 to 15,000 intervals. All the rest is the same stats as your and they tell me it looks good.

My Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and zine are almost spot on with yours. Perhaps I'll the Rotella synthetic versus special ordering the Valvoline Extreme Blue. You have a bit more Moly.

I've got a some Potassium and Boron from the RevX I dumped in at 91,000 after a change.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo kidd View Post
Those filter look good for 9,500 miles. I assume you are using an additive with your fill-ups? If so what are you using?

On a side note...over the years I have tried many different additives and filled up at different locations. I always eaxamine my filter(s) when I change them. I have noticed that my favorite fuel stop (They sell a ton of diesel) allows me to go longer on my filters. They look so clean compared to other places I used to go to. When I would stop off at the cheapest place in Chicago, my filters were black as coal when I would change them, and there was always a ton of water when I would drain my seperator. Now I very rarely see water in my fuel and my filter look clean.

The bottom line is your filters are directly related to the quality of fuel your truck uses.
I was running diesel klean for months, I haven't ran anything in the last 6 weeks. I always fill up RaceTracks that are by the highways since those tanks get filled more frequently than a station 10 miles into the city area- just my logic lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.