6.4 max AC mod?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.4 max AC mod??

Is it possible to do this? I did this with my 7.3 w/ a ranger heater core valve, does the 6.4 use vaccuum for the hvac controls? I know most of them are electronic now...Or would I need to use a electronically controlled valve to block hot coolant from the heater core when the air is on? I know I could throw a ball valve in there, but it would be great if I could set this up like in my 7.3...does anyone know a place that makes a electronically controlled valve to shut off coolant flow? Thanks in advance everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What does this do? Colder air?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Yup, blocks hot coolant from going through the heater core all the time, makes it easier to cool down the truck, worked awesome in my 7.3, used the vacuum controlled valve from a ranger tied into the stock hvac vac controls in that truck...the valve blocked flow when max ac was selected...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did a similar mod to my 99 Super Duty and seem to remember reading that Ford eventually made this a production mod.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM

It doesn't do this automatically?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM

If my ac was any colder if freeze to death
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I've never been overly impressed with the air conditioning performance in my 08. I've tried playing with the charge level as well, to no real avail.

I don't like that the same size cab, which was originally (pre-08) cooled with almost 3 pounds of R134a is now only cooled with not even 1-3/4 pounds of refrigerant.

I don't even find the air sufficient in a single cab truck, 08-10.

I have often thought about putting a ball valve in the heater hose line to interrupt flow through the heater core. Most every big truck (transport, dumptruck, etc.) has a shut-off valve for the heater core for summer months.

The problem with the vacuum actuated one is, as you've stated above - the controls are all electronic now, there isn't any vacuum to the head unit in the dash anymore, and some trucks don't even have a vacuum pump!

It's getting to the point now weather wise, if you put a shut off in the heater hose you'd probably be ok without heat for a while. And worse came to worse, jump out, pop the hood and spin the valve open if you needed to.

I'm going to take some before/after measurements when I do this, but before that I also need to replace the blend door motor for the temp door.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
If my ac was any colder if freeze to death
No sh!t I agree with you man... I'm in Dallas, and in August when temps are well over 100* with high humidity, after rising around for 20 minutes I either turn the ac fan speed down to the lowest, or I up the temps because its too damn cold. And I like it cold, even in the winter I keep it on 65* after I get er warmed up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

mines a freezer...!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM

My 08 is nothing special for AC, checked the freon, all good, so I put a ball valve in yesterday, all my tractors have them, they are ford too! Well some new holland, same deal... it was 85 the day I did it but now it's a balmy 32... ...when the summer comes I'll let everyone know how it works...I'll post a pic tomorrow...and I thought ford made the valve for the excursions?? And rangers etc...

With the temp drop I had to hop out and flip the lever back to open taking my kid to school this morning! 50+ degree drop is nuts! Ill do some measurements valve open/closed as well, just to compare results and make an average... Also I put the valve after the tee for the coolant filter, so it wouldn't stop filtering when the valve is off...

Wish I could find a electronically controlled valve, but that's probably way more trouble than its worth, but than again, I have done a lot of stuff like that (ends up costing more and takin more time) just to give it a shot, one day I'll learn...maybe??

Last edited by rt_hawk; 05-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.