Both rear brakes locked up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Both rear brakes locked up

Anyone have an 08 lock up both rear brakes before? Not the emergency brakes, calipers stuck on. Please help. Used c clamps to back them off once cool but afraid larger issue exists thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had the driver rear caliper freeze up on me. I couldn't tell it other than the unmistakable smell of burnt breaks when i got out of the truck one day. I ended up replacing both sides just to be safe. It was just bad calipers. I have read multiple guys having the same issues.

make sure to get the right ones. the dealer had a heck of a time getting the correct caliper for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08smoker08 View Post
i had the driver rear caliper freeze up on me. I couldn't tell it other than the unmistakable smell of burnt breaks when i got out of the truck one day. I ended up replacing both sides just to be safe. It was just bad calipers. I have read multiple guys having the same issues.

make sure to get the right ones. the dealer had a heck of a time getting the correct caliper for me.
I hear what you are saying but for both calipers to fail at the same exact moment seems suspect. I am fearful there is an issue between the distribution block on the rear axle and the master cylinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i agree there.
any chance you had one locked up and didn't know it. Then the other followed suit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08smoker08 View Post
i agree there.
any chance you had one locked up and didn't know it. Then the other followed suit..
Right now I am open to any ideas. I am wondering if one did in fact lock up and I did not notice it. That rotor then got so hot and expanded the brake fluid and applied the other brake. I am not a mechanic or brake expert. Looks like I am getting my brakes 101 class now though. Just looking for ideas before Ford replaces something that is not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
honestly, i have read a bunch of guys saying that that calipers have issues. Not sure of the cause. I haven't heard if it is something causing it or just bad calipers. For my sake i hope its just bad calipers because that is all i replaced. No issues since and that was 30k miles ago. You could always start with the calipers and see if that is all it was. If it was something else, they wouldn't work, right? Im no brake expert either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08smoker08 View Post
honestly, i have read a bunch of guys saying that that calipers have issues. Not sure of the cause. I haven't heard if it is something causing it or just bad calipers. For my sake i hope its just bad calipers because that is all i replaced. No issues since and that was 30k miles ago. You could always start with the calipers and see if that is all it was. If it was something else, they wouldn't work, right? Im no brake expert either...
That may be the best place to start. Not a complex job and one I can do myself. My fear was that it was something else and I would smoke another set of brakes and hardware in the process. With that in mind, Ford will soak me no matter what so that may be the best bet. Thanks for the feedback. Just looking for options since this site has saved me a time or two in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this site has saved me as well. I try to return the favor and reply as often as i can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors