Amsoil Change Interval - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil Change Interval

Hey all,
I have used Amsoil for years in everything I own. I am about to do the first oil change in my 08 6.4l, 75,000 that I recently purchased. What is the drain interval recommended? Amsoil says to use the manufacturers longest drain interval which I believe is 10,000 miles. Anyone else use Amsoil? What are the drain intervals you use? Longer? Shorter? Any problems either way? Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Don't you worry about it

If the truck has a DPF dont go a mile over 5k and in that case there is no point in using a synthetic oil. I use motorcraft oil and still change mine every 5k miles even though I am deleted. Cheap insurance.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you Strokin! I read all about the DPF and the problems it causes. What the hell is it and why do people delete it? Does that cause a lot of the ****ty gas mileage? I don't know a thing about it other than my dash says it is cleaning every now and then. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well since you are currently not deleted amsoil is a huge waste of money. As all ready said do not go over 5k with dpf. I don't have dpf or egr and I do 4k max. Yes dpf causes the bad milage. In short. It traps the soot in the filter and burns it off when it gets full. When it burns it off it overloads with fuel and usually some of that fuel leaks down into the crank case. A quick search on the site you can find out why you should delete it. Either way if you do delete there is no magic number on OCI as every drives different and in different conditions like more cold starts or dusty conditions. So simple rule if not deleted dont go over 5k and if deleted send it to blackstone or a place of your choice to have it tested and see what works best for your truck.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 AM

I do 5K on royal purple and I'm deleted both DPF and EGR. Even once I do CCV I will still do it at 5k. Simple insurance on an expensive motor/turbo set up. Plus I get royal purple for $9 a quart
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
I do 5K on royal purple and I'm deleted both DPF and EGR. Even once I do CCV I will still do it at 5k. Simple insurance on an expensive motor/turbo set up. Plus I get royal purple for $9 a quart
Why waste your money on RP if your going to change it every 5k? Do an oil analysis ($20) and filter change at about 4k and go from there. They will recommend when the next change is and/or recommend to send in the next sample. Maybe you will be able to double your mileage and save the cost of an oil change.

FWIW, I used to run Amsoil in everything but my truck, now it is there. I sent in a sample at 2500 miles. Everything came back perfect and even a couple of numbers came back better than what the oil was spec'd at (I must have got a few good quarts). Suggested I not send another sample in for another 7000 miles. Of course I don't have a DPF or an EGR, and I know my compression numbers are really good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Don't you worry about it

I just do not understand why people want to do extended oil change intervals. It's like $60 and 15 minutes of your time. Just use motorcraft and change your dang oil. I wouldn't put amsoil in my lawn mower. Last time I was at the shop with my truck there was a 6.0 in there with the motor torn down and I asked what happened and the mechanic lead me over to an oil pan filled with black jelly and he said Amsoil happened.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I just do not understand why people want to do extended oil change intervals. It's like $60 and 15 minutes of your time. Just use motorcraft and change your dang oil. I wouldn't put amsoil in my lawn mower. Last time I was at the shop with my truck there was a 6.0 in there with the motor torn down and I asked what happened and the mechanic lead me over to an oil pan filled with black jelly and he said Amsoil happened.
Lol. That's not from Amsoil nor any motor oil would cause that if it's changed regularly. That's called neglect and an emissions issues that causes sludge. That mechanic just wanted to use that as an easy excuse to blame something.

I've seen that with many engines, gas and diesel in all different makes and models, more so on GM gasser's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
I sure hope mine doesn't look like that . I've been using amsoil for 130,000kms and doing 10,000km changes since new.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 AM
Don't you worry about it

I get oil analysis done ever couple oil changes and use motorcraft and they said I could easily go to 8k miles but I still change at 5k. If motorcraft can do this well why would anyone pay more for oil? I just don't get it. It's just a racket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.