Trans temps too high with Minimax? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans temps too high with Minimax?

Ok so I used to run s2L but started noticing my trans temps seemed a little high, 180's after about 30 minutes of driving. I switched to s1L thinking it would make a difference but i'm still reaching about the same temp. I dont think I've quite reached 190 yet, but I know if I was towing almost anything at all my temp would continue to climb. This seems pretty high to me when I see a lot of people saying they stay around 170 degrees.

I drive all flat land (live in Florida) and the ambient temp is usully arond 90 when I reach these temps. I haven't towed anything. Any suggestions? or am I just worrying too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how fast are you driving when you see this and what gearing do you have/what rpm's are you at on the highway?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Well I can tell you from my nearly year of experience running the Mini-maxx on all sorts of tranny settings and tunes that my temps never exceed 165. Aside from the really cold days of winter and short trips that don't allow the tranny to reach 165, that seems to be my operating temp at its peak. Haven't towed too heavy yet but light towing and payloads to around 2000 lbs. haven't pushed it beyond that number either. I've got a CCSB with 3.73 gears, wheels, tires and lift in my sig...hope that gives you some insight on what others are running for temps anyways, at least in my case.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Ive never seen temps that high with min either. thats pulling a S250bobcat and 24ft trailer
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Well just did a 150 mile trip to Orlando. Ambient temps at about 90. 80% highway driving at about 70 mph. Rpms at about 1900. Trans temp got to 187 but never above. When I got back to city driving temps would be high 170s low 180s. Running sm1 tune on HD 300 no power tune. Any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Also stock 18" wheels and tires and leveling kit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Hunter of Trolls

Code3, you're still well within the trans comfort zone... That said, I'd figure on a drop and fill, and swap filters... I'd check the filter out carefully.. your flow may be reduced because of particulars, or your external cooler may be obstructing flow.... Like I said, though, you don't have a problem with the temps you've indicated...... Yet....
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Code3, question for you: Do you have an EGR Delete? Reason I ask is my temperatures are the same as yours, and when i deleted my EGR Coolers with the new high flow elbow, my tranny, oil, and coolant temps jumped 5-10 degrees. I have another buddy with same mods, and same story.

My tranny temps when running on the highway (i live in SC...flat) are the same as yours. My oil/coolant temps during the summer are what seem to others as high, normal to me (ECT: 195-201; EOT: 199-210). Before my EGR delete, they were not that high.

I change all my fluids religiously and I'm anal about maintenance. Coincidence or bad luck, I'm over worrying about it...long as they are consistent and within the acceptable parameters. I would make sure your fluids changed religiously and drive her like you are supposed to...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Hunter of Trolls

if you fellas are running a minimaxx on the HD tunes with the EGR still intact, the egr valve is shut.. that basically turns those coolers into additional heat exchanges, as it allows them to expose more surface area for the coolant inside them.. 5~10* worth? dunno.. but some, for certain...

what i would do if'n i was code, is slap a scan tool on that rascal and get some readings.. flow readings to be specific.. if it is flowing slower but with the same volume, then you've got a restriction somewhere.. it may simply be the pump- but more likely it is debris of clutch material in the cooler or lines..

i'm pretty anal about maintenance, and i'm all about diagnosing/intercepting before it becomes a problem- for that reason, anything above 20* off of 165* would cause me concern.. realize, though, the internal thermo valve isn't going to reroute the fluid/oil to the external coolers until 165* is reached.. then it shoots it out and sips in cool fluid.. it could be that your internal thermo valve is a little off, and holding on to it longer before routing it out..

what you should really concern yourself with, is if you take a dive north of 210.. that is the area where you're pushing it, and something is amiss.. if you're towing/hauling, then there is your answer.. if you're not, then you definitely have an issue..

there is no reason why these things should run higher than 215~220* while maxed out towing/hauling, and driven reasonably.. you can get those temps up by driving the crap out of it during full load, but driven reasonably and within limits, it's something you should never witness..
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

First and foremost, CHECK YOUR COOLING STACK for blockages, plugged elements, etc.

Also, look between heat exchangers and make sure they aren't plugged with dirt/debris/etc.

Low pressure water across each cooler element will wash a bunch of the junk out of the cores themselves. Even if they look clean, they aren't.

There is a product that HVAC guys have that they spray on heat exchangers on air conditioning units and it foams up and pulls ALL the dirt and crap out of the fins.

This would be the first thing I'd check out before going any further.

And that being said - 190 isn't too far out of the way, especially in the city with low air flow across the cooling stack and in stop and go traffic, without the converter locking up.

My trans takes quite awhile to warm up, (the actual temp, not just on the gauge) but I typically see around 175-180 degrees with our 50 or so degree ambient temperature, rolling down the highway at about 62 miles an hour or so.

This is from the shop manual, it describes what temperature ranges move the needle to what area of the gauge.

The transmission temperature should range between -40 to 49C (-40 to 120F) with the gauge in the cold (C) range, between 10 to 120C (120 to 248F) with the gauge in the normal or mid-range and above 135 to 214C (275 to 417F) with the gauge in the hot (H) range.

It would appear the trans temperature gauge doesn't read HOT until over 248 degrees. Just something else to keep in mind. I don't think trans temps in the 200 degree range are too far out of the way, to be honest - Remember, there is an oil-to-water cooler as well, that will only cool the trans fluid to the temperature of the engine coolant. Yes, the oil to air will help cool it, but the one in the rad is only going to do so much.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.