Looks like blown motor, suggestions needed... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like blown motor, suggestions needed...

Right now you can start the truck but one cylinder shows 35% compression loss. A boroscope is about to go take a look...

Just curious, if I do in fact have blown motor on a 2008 F-350 KR, which route would you take?

Get a crate from Ford to have the 2 year/unlimited warranty?

Rebuild my current block and add "x" parts?

I have a third party warranty but was told that if it was an injector that caused it it would not be covered. If it is a piston, what else could cause it if not an injector?

A little history from another post I started 2-3 weeks ago...

"(2008 F350 KR) I was driving to work this morning and I started feeling some vibration like I had a flat. I pulled over to check and noticed a puff of smoke from the tail pipe. Tires looked fine so I got back in the car and noticed a definite misfire.

When I left this morning I thought the truck sounded just a tad rough but it drove fine while I dropped off the kids. I then filled up (could be bad diesel?) and set out on my 42 mile trip to work. About 8 miles into it is when the truck started shaking.

I do not have any check any lights and there was no overheating but there is definitely some kind of misfire going on.

I just put a scanner on it and I'm getting a P0302, Cylinder 2 misfire."

Last edited by Cajundude; 04-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Well that's your problem you put gas in it ahah

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Lol Fixed...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It seems like it usually is an injector that causes a piston to go bad. Usually from overfueling. Why will they not cover it if its an injector that caused the piston to crack?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
It seems like it usually is an injector that causes a piston to go bad. Usually from overfueling. Why will they not cover it if its an injector that caused the piston to crack?
Because it is a slimy aftermarket warranty company. I am in the automotive industry and I deal with them all the time. They suck, all of them.

I am not however in the diesel business which is why I purchased this warranty. Sometimes it takes a little fighting so I am going to pay for it and then go after them to collect. I think I am probably going to go the Ford crate route, then everything will be new, motor turbos, injectors, etc...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just got a 6.4 from Ford a couple months ago. Complete engine cost $12k and had to take it back after 40 miles, miss on #8, turned out to be a faulty injector harness under the valve cover.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep5 View Post
I just got a 6.4 from Ford a couple months ago. Complete engine cost $12k and had to take it back after 40 miles, miss on #8, turned out to be a faulty injector harness under the valve cover.

Well that is just lovely. I take it there was no hassle? You get the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty with it right?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 AM

A few years back I had this same problem with a 2001 Duramax LB7. Failed injector caused a piston to crack. I too had an aftermarket warranty. It took about 4 months of being without my truck, but they eventually replaced the motor. The main reason I switched to a power stroke. :-)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Don't you worry about it

I had my #8 injector hang open and I cracked the 8th piston clean in half and drove at highway speeds like that for 2 hours. Tore it down put a new piston, rod, and injector in it and kept kicking. There was no damage to the cylinder wall.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

12000$$ holy Moses. Think about what you could do to your block for 12,000 if it was ok. Injectors, turbo, tune, Chrome, and more chrome!!! Haha that my look on it. That is if you had the abilities to pull the motor yourself. Even if you didn't and payed someone I don't see it being 12000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.