Looking to go from a 6.0 to a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to go from a 6.0 to a 6.4

I'm looking at this truck and wondering if anyone could run an OASIS report to see if it looks like my 6.0s does .

1FTWW31R98EB40263

What do you guys think?
2008 Ford F-350 Lariat - Port Orchard, WA, Bremerton, WA & Gig Harbor, WA

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 AM

im horribly jaded. DO NOT get an 08.... get an 09 or 10 if you want a 6.4.. The 08s expecially early 08 builds are not worth the pavement they drive on. I have put 15K plus in mine as of now.

Im in too deep to get rid of it.

I wish someone would have told me before spending 40K+ on a truck that would eventually cost me more than 60K.

Don't do it man, get a little newer one. Its not worth the risk.

Some guys will more than likely say that they have had no issues but really is it worth the gamble...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08smoker08 View Post
im horribly jaded. DO NOT get an 08.... get an 09 or 10 if you want a 6.4.. The 08s expecially early 08 builds are not worth the pavement they drive on. I have put 15K plus in mine as of now.

Im in too deep to get rid of it.

I wish someone would have told me before spending 40K+ on a truck that would eventually cost me more than 60K.

Don't do it man, get a little newer one. Its not worth the risk.

Some guys will more than likely say that they have had no issues but really is it worth the gamble...
I think a big part of the 08, 09 & 10 debate is how well the truck was maintained. Alot of 08 problems that I see are guys buying used 08's and the maintenance has not been kept up on them. Or people unloading them after returning to stock due to blown head gaskets and once the new owner throws a tuner on the issues are right there. Not saying this is your problem but it's something to think about. I think you can still get a reliable 08 if you shop around carefully.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 AM

that could have very well happened to me, I bought mine at 39K miles, a lease vehicle, out of michigan. (So i assume someone wouldn't tune it on a lease vehicle), The maintenance was up to snuff, I just didn't know at the time what coolant blowing out of the degas bottle meant. I being dumb just assumed that the dealer overfilled the degas bottle. Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back now. I wouldn't do it again...

but i can say that after 15K i have a solid truck,

i hope......

Oh and i over maintenance everything too. Just as an FYI, not trying to be confontational but i changed fuel filters, oil, every 5k. Put additive in almost every tank of fuel. Still had the injectors bad at 80k miles. Thats a $2400 sting..

I realize that you shouldn't buy a truck if you can't afford to repair it but there are somethings you shouldn't have to replace or repair on a truck like this at 80K miles...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
that could have very well happened to me, I bought mine at 39K miles, a lease vehicle, out of michigan. (So i assume someone wouldn't tune it on a lease vehicle), The maintenance was up to snuff, I just didn't know at the time what coolant blowing out of the degas bottle meant. I being dumb just assumed that the dealer overfilled the degas bottle. Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back now. I wouldn't do it again...

i hope......

Oh and i over maintenance everything too. Just as an FYI, not trying to be confontational but i changed fuel filters, oil, every 5k. Put additive in almost every tank of fuel. Still had the injectors bad at 80k miles. Thats a $2400 sting..

I realize that you shouldn't buy a truck if you can't afford to repair it but there are somethings you shouldn't have to replace or repair on a truck like this at 80K miles...
I can understand your frustration and i can completely agree with the last sentence.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 AM

thank you sir,

Quality is just a word now a days. I don't thing you can buy it anymore.... And if you can i can't afford it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
thank you sir,

Quality is just a word now a days. I don't thing you can buy it anymore.... And if you can i can't afford it.
very true! No matter what brand you go with you have to put money into them to make them reliable it seems like.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM

I also feel your frustration but there's nothing wrong with the 08s everybody acts like they came with a completely different cursed motor. My 08 build date. 01/07 is the best truck I've owned. I've had a few to say the least. Only major problem were head gaskets and had to be done twice due to dealer stupidity. I knew they would go eventually. On the early 08s it was only a few small things that caused problems. I think buying a used vehicle is part of the problem. Just cause it was taken care of on paper doesn't mean it was taken care of. I worked at a company that had a fleet of 6.4s they followed the sever duty schedule, on paper and the trucks looked in good shape when they got rid of them. Somone coming in would think wow this truck was properly maintained and looks to be in good shape. Little do they know how bad they were abused. Driven very hard full throttle everywhere and never warmed up not even in the winter at -40 just get in and drive it like ya stole it. Then when the truck is started leave it running for your 15 hour day on low idle. You may have very well got a truck that was "well taken care of" like this.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscofreak View Post
I'm looking at this truck and wondering if anyone could run an OASIS report to see if it looks like my 6.0s does .

1FTWW31R98EB40263

What do you guys think?
2008 Ford F-350 Lariat - Port Orchard, WA, Bremerton, WA & Gig Harbor, WA

Thanks!
Its had some stuff done to it! in your pm
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:

i hope......

I also understand your frustration with everything. Hopefully you have a truck that will last you a long time now and you won't have to pump any more into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.