Regen too short - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regen too short

New to the forum, but looking for a possible answer. I have an 08 F450 with about 29,000 miles. For the last few months it will flash "cleaning exhaust filter" for about 5 seconds and flash back off while driving on the interstate. It used to do that and stay in clean for several minutes. When it does that it will stumble for the first second or so. Took it to the dealer, they kept it about a week, forced a manual regen and stated all was well. However, it did the same thing the other day just towing my bass boat. The dealer doens't seem to know if there is anything wrong with it. I really want to do and DPF delete, but not sure if I want to spend the money at this time. With the truck miles so low the stupid thing should work right in my mind. Has anyone had the regen too short problem? I am afraid it will stop up before long. Also, if you were going to do the delete and did not want any additional power (I tow 18-20K with it) for fear of burning the motor up, what tuner would be most cost effective? Thanks, Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My DPF was replaced at the 30,000 mile service as it was cracked. With the amount of heat that is generated in a regen, I understand why parts wearout prematurely. If the replacement DPF wasn't covered under warranty, I would've deleted.

Also, the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message on the dash only stays on for a few seconds and then, disappears. You have to do a "system check" to see whether you're in regen or not.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

If you want just a tuner get the dpf-r it'll just delete the dpf and possibly egr not to sure. It's the most cost effective way if u want no extra power.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-22-2013, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You have to do a "system check" to see whether you're in regen or not.[/QUOTE]

In the past it the "cleaning exhaust" message would stay on until the cycle was complete then it would state it was complete. Maybe a recent computer flash changed that? How do you do the "system check"?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine will only flash for a second when it enters regen (even though it's still cleaning), but if you have the computer do a system check one of the things it tells you is that it's cleaning the filter. Here is how if you don't know (from the manual):

Press the SELECT/RESET button for the next setup menu item or wait
for more than four seconds to return to the info menu.

Press and hold the SELECT/RESET button to select SYSTEM CHECK
when HOLD RESET FOR SYSTEM CHECK is displayed in the message
center

If you had a Scanaguage or other aftermarket gauges you could also tell it's in regen by the EGT temp.

Last edited by 69Stang; 04-22-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is a reflash (I can't remember specifically which one it was now) that made the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message only stay on for 5 seconds or so, and then it went out.

I believe this was changed like this to perhaps quell some of the "My truck regenerates too often/long/etc," complaints we were getting a lot of at the dealer.

When you're done, you should still get the "Exhaust Filter Drive Complete" message, but it too will be pretty quick.

If you don't do enough regeneration, eventually it will flip the check engine light and wrench light on, and put the truck into forced limited power strategy.

If you have that reflash in your truck that shows the message for 5 seconds or so only, the truck should force a regeneration every 667 miles regardless of soot load.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngusBeef View Post
New to the forum, but looking for a possible answer. I have an 08 F450 with about 29,000 miles. For the last few months it will flash "cleaning exhaust filter" for about 5 seconds and flash back off while driving on the interstate. It used to do that and stay in clean for several minutes. When it does that it will stumble for the first second or so. Took it to the dealer, they kept it about a week, forced a manual regen and stated all was well. However, it did the same thing the other day just towing my bass boat. The dealer doens't seem to know if there is anything wrong with it. I really want to do and DPF delete, but not sure if I want to spend the money at this time. With the truck miles so low the stupid thing should work right in my mind. Has anyone had the regen too short problem? I am afraid it will stop up before long. Also, if you were going to do the delete and did not want any additional power (I tow 18-20K with it) for fear of burning the motor up, what tuner would be most cost effective? Thanks, Dave

After the regen flashes on, for the 5 seconds or so, you can go to system checks on the console, step through checks and see the regen is active.

Also some tuners will allow you to monitor regen and egt as well as other conditions, I use a Spartan to monitor regen, egt, oil, temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, ebp, and about a dozen other ford specific engine conditions.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, I called the dealer today and asked them about it. I had taken the truck in for something under warranty(can't remember) and the technician stated "oh yeah, we did do a reflash n your truck". Nice if they had associated that with my short flash of "cleaning exhaust" versus how it used to do it. I now don't think there is anything wrong with the truck lol... I get about 12.5mpg with the thing now, about how much better do you guys think it would be if I did a delete?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Not much better... But the power will be so much better! Literally it will be a whole new truck!! And the engines health will be so much better giving you more longevity and reliability.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.