6.4 constantly in regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 constantly in regen

Hey guys my father in-laws truck is constantly in regen with a check engine light on. Dash says "Cleaning exhaust filter". Hes got a '08 6.4. The truck seems to be down on power. The dealer said it could be one of 15 things when he ran the scan on it. To much work going on right now for the truck to be down for acouple of days so they can figure it out. Any ideas of what could be happening? Should we just bite the bullet and take it in, or will it be ok for awhile? Also whats the cheapest way to delete EGR, DPF and tune? Ive seen some tuners that will turn off the EGR so you don't have to delete it, and as long as you delete the DPF it will be good. Is this true or should everything be deleted, and not just turned off? I know theres a lot of questions here. Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM

I would check the connection on all three sensors in the exhaust. I think there is one on the DPF and CAT and maybe a third in there somewhere. It been a while since I did mine. Maybe a wire cracked or a sensor got bent by something, although unlikely. The tuner question is addressed in 100's of threads.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
Yeah it could be a lot of different things, but it sounds like your DPF is due for replacement or the exhaust pressure sensor is giving the ECM a false reading causing constant regen.
Do your pa-in-laws truck a favor and get yourself one of the "race" tuners or older H&S mini-max and a DPF delete pipe. H&S has the ability to "disable" the EGR when you have a DPF delete pipe installed.
I know the prices on a H&S tuner that still has the DPF delete ability has shot through the roof and a DPF delete pipe will cost $170-$250, however this will be a small expense compared to the repair bill that your heading for if you keep using the truck like that. If your DPF is bad, it's going to cost you about $2000 anyway to have it replaced.
Hope this info helps out some-Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.