6.0 vs 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 vs 6.4

Looking at the possibility of trading in my 6.0 for a 6.4 wondering what some of the issues there might be at what to look for before purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fording View Post
Looking at the possibility of trading in my 6.0 for a 6.4 wondering what some of the issues there might be at what to look for before purchasing.
Do you know what Job 1, 2, and 3 are? If not research that for a bit. If I were going to get a 6.4 I would only look at 2010's.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

The high pressure fuel pumps are known to fail caused by wire shorting. The cab has to be pulled for that, so thats an expensive fix. They did however fix that issue in the later 6.4's. The EGR obviously will cause problems and the DPF chokes the crap out of your engine potential. Head gaskets is another issue and heads lifting. It has many problems the 6.0 did, but like the 6.0 if you do all the necessary preventative maintenance upgrades, you will have one badass truck. Those 6.4's are monsters. Just be nice to your transmission...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 AM

Then i think ill stay with my 6.0 and do the work its almost paid of thought maybe the 6.4 would be less of a hassle
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Then i think ill stay with my 6.0 and do the work its almost paid of thought maybe the 6.4 would be less of a hassle
HAHAHA, I don't blame you. But the 6.4 trucks are really nice. Much nicer interior, I think if you find a truck with a semi-clean OASIS and it wasn't beat to hell you'd be okay.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 AM

I already know that it has to have the dpf delete and Spartan tuner to make it last just debating on doing that work plus having a truck payment which would be more then what i pay now or spending the $3000 in parts for my 6.0. And yes as far as the interior goes it is very nice part of the reason why I was looking.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I already know that it has to have the dpf delete and Spartan tuner to make it last just debating on doing that work plus having a truck payment which would be more then what i pay now or spending the $3000 in parts for my 6.0. And yes as far as the interior goes it is very nice part of the reason why I was looking.
If you think 08-10 is nice don't ever drive an 11+!!! I was going to get a 6.4, but after driving my 11, I didn't want to touch a 6.4 ever again.

A/C seats is all I got to say...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
If you think 08-10 is nice don't ever drive an 11+!!! I was going to get a 6.4, but after driving my 11, I didn't want to touch a 6.4 ever again.

A/C seats is all I got to say...
Pfft, my Navigator had them back in 02
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I dont blame you one bit. I sold my 6.4 and went back to a 6.0 to get out of the 6.4 emissions hassle and cost of fixing the 6.4 once out of warranty. My 6.0 may not be as nice as 6.4 was but they both have heated seats, so I am good. And having a truck almost paid for is a big plus to.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM

If you have a nice 6.0, I would honestly keep it, and mod it. If you like some of the interior of the 6.4, look at insurance auctions for totaled 6.4s that the interior is still good on, honeslty I would look into the 6.7 seats if I was going to do any swapping. They sit better than my 6.4 seats even if you cant get the heat and air to work I think you would still be glad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.