Torque converter acting strange? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque converter acting strange?

2009 cclb 90k miles with tuned hs mini maxx since 35k. been noticing as of late that on the highway when I pass someone and reach about 75-80mph the torque converter unlocks entirely, and remains unlocked even when I let off the pedal for a second or two. Then it locks back up and will unlock again if I try to pick up the speed. This happens with moderate throttle, I rarely ever beat on the truck. I haven't tried recreating the situation under full throttle for fear of causing damage. I get no codes at all. I have wondered if fluid temp makes a difference in this situation but it doesn't seem to matter warm or cold it still happens.

I have read something about the transmission pump losing pressure over time causing this. But I'm not sure. Fluid is clean, but has about 40k miles on the fluid. The transmission feels great in everyday driving and spirited fun. I am positive below 75mph there is no slipping that feels outside of normal operation. I checked fluid level because since the last tranny service it is wet with fluid around the pan. Fluid level looks fine even though the dipsticks are horrific on these new trucks. Does anyone have insight or experience with this? Should I have the tranny flushed and see if that helps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 AM

One quick note, I did update the mini maxx a few weeks prior to this occurrence. Could this be tuning related?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know much about transmissions but if it started after you updated try reloading your tune. It's worth a try
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

My torque converter was giving me issues while it was changing gears so i changed tune to only lock the torque converter in 5 gear and have had no problems since
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM

I used to run the 5th gear lock up only tunes when I first got the mini maxx. Mine would always try to lock it in 4th under hard acceleration right before the 4-5 shift. It was horrible h&s said it should never lock in 4th period running those tunes but mine did. This was two years ago tho. Ill try updating and reloading tonight and see what happens
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM

I updated the mini maxx and reloaded the tune. I also switched to 5th gear lock up only tunes. Drove it around to relearn and the tranny would still have the same issue over 80mph. From what I can gather here is the order of events. I get on the throttle to around 80-90mph, the rpms begin to rise fast, the mini shows the tc lock icon off, this time i stayed into it, rpms kept climbing fast to 38 - 4k, when I let off and the truck was going maybe 100-105. I let off to coast and around 75-80mph it locks back up and feels good again. Now I'm begining to think this is 5th gear slipping. But I still cant figure why the tq icon comes off. Or why it feels so solid before that speed. Is this the end of the line for my transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.