Filter cap says "Carquest DO NOTE RE-USE". WTF??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Filter cap says "Carquest DO NOTE RE-USE". WTF???

OK, so I'm changing the oil in my new-to-me 2008 and once we get the filter housing cap off it says "Carquest DO NOT RE-USE" on the side. OK, so it's an aftermarket filter housing cap, but the filter inside is completely different than the stock 6.4 Motorcraft filter. I mean its longer, skinnier and has different top and bottom fittings where the filter seats on the cap and I guess down inside. Are there different filters/housings on the Job 1's? Do I need to find a FoMoCo filter cap and will the "real" motorcraft filter fit? This is the most puzzling thing I've seen changing the dang oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very important that you throw that cap in the garbage and get a new oem cap from ford and a oem filter as well
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
Very important that you throw that cap in the garbage and get a new oem cap from ford and a oem filter as well
Very much what I assumed. Very saddening. Not to mention I just had brand new 5inch exhaust put on and there is some oil coming out...not sure how much yet but I'm thinking I'm working on borrowed time...
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Oil as in blue smoke or actual oil??
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM

Ha!! Same thing just happened to me. I paid a joint to change my oil the last time and demanded they use motorcraft, though they didn't..

I picked up a new cap from ford today, along with filter and cetane booster.. just finished changing it out.. i didn't see any leaks or anything, though..

I'm subscribed here though.. would love to know the ramifications of using that filter and cap, if someone would explain it, thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
Oil as in blue smoke or actual oil??

Like sticky, burnt oil...at least I think so...it's all along the bottom of the pipe (on the inside of course) and while I was underneath today I noticed a little pushing out where the muffler connects to the pipe... it doesn't smoke and it doesn't 'run' or 'drip' out...just a filmy sticky residue. Does anyone know if FoMoCo filter caps are expensive? Or should I just get a billet one from RCD? decisions, decisions...
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM

so you have just put on a 5" pipe......what was on before.....what tuner you have ?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM

The cetane boost, the filter and the cap cost me $60 today, if that helps you at all..
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muntu View Post
so you have just put on a 5" pipe......what was on before.....what tuner you have ?
I bought it used and it had what appeared to be super clean stock exhaust...the more I look at it the more I'm pretty sure it was either a used system put on after this dealer got it at auction so he could sell it legally or they painted the tail section or something. Anyway. Just a case of people trying to be slick willy's. I drove the truck stock for about 3 days and noticed nothing in the stock pipe.

also I'm running a spartan 210 EL tune right now.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
Ha!! Same thing just happened to me. I paid a joint to change my oil the last time and demanded they use motorcraft, though they didn't..

I picked up a new cap from ford today, along with filter and cetane booster.. just finished changing it out.. i didn't see any leaks or anything, though..

I'm subscribed here though.. would love to know the ramifications of using that filter and cap, if someone would explain it, thanks in advance.
Here you go:

Here's one on the fuel filters as well:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.