Shocked on exit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shocked on exit

How many of you,get shocked on exit of your trucks? It happens to me more than I can remember any other truck doing to me.Always when I reach to close the door so my feet are on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Check all your frame to body ground straps. There should be straps from the body to the frame and from the motor to the frame. If they are missing or corroded the body will hold the charge and you are the ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Happens to me all the time, I usually shut the door with my elbow because it can be pretty brutal sometimes! I especially notice it in under armour types of clothing, must be something in that material because even around the house its bad. Back on task though, excuse my ignorance on the matter but where are these straps you speak of? How many should there be? I'm sure I speak for Sledfreak when I say I'd love to know more about these because I'd like to fix the problem myself, been getting shocked for too long!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

That happened on my 6.4 for the longest time.. Sold it about a year ago. New owners problem now. lol

Tom
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Its static electricity. Happens to me no matter what i drive. Seems to be worse this time of year.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM

There are woven metal straps that are attached from the body to the frame, engine bloc to the body, trans to the frame, etc. there are usually 2 to 4 on various places. I would pick one up and attach it from the cab to the frame and see if that helps. If not the only other solution is a rubber strap that attaches to the frame and drags the ground. It has metal imbedded to keep the truck grounded.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM

I get shocked by everything all the time, it sucks!! At work Ill go to wash my hands and the water shocks me lol. It gets old!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i am forever getting shocked! Haha my dad is even worse! We get out of the van at church and he'll shut his door and "CRACK!!!!!!" its so funny! BUt sucks too I know. *gets up and goes to truck to check ground straps*
Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops250 View Post
Its static electricity. Happens to me no matter what i drive. Seems to be worse this time of year.
Yup...been my experience with all my autos. Reason Static is worse in winter is due to lack of humidity...cold air is dry and leads to more static. Few years ago, I had humidifier installed on my home furnace and the HVAC guy told me it would help with static.....he was right!

For your truck or car, try spraying the static cling stuff they make for clothes on the carpet and cloth seats. It will stop the issue.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 PM

As said before it is due to the air being so dry in the winter it causes static electricity to be worse. The best way to solve this, I do it all the time and it works 100% of the time, When exiting your truck make sure you are touching a metal part, either the edge of the door or the side of the truck until you clear the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.