Head Gaskets/Studs the Old Fashioned way - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets/Studs the Old Fashioned way

The time has come that I am puking coolant and need to do Head Gaskets and studs. I don't currently have access to a lift and have been stressing over trying to do them Cab-On, or Jerry-Rigging a way to block up the cab.

So one day at work one of the guys says "Why don't you just pull the motor?"

So I look look it up in the Ford Manual at Helm Inc and sure enough there is a procedure for pulling the motor cab-on.

So who has done this already? Give me some tips? Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM

my buddy pulls the engines on 6.0 jobs

6.4 he pulls the cab because it's truly designed to easily pull the cab
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Oh come on, Someone has to have pulled the motor on a 6.4 without popping the cab.

At their core, they aren't much different then a 6.0, so I guess maybe I will take a look over there. Either way, when I do this I will try to get some pic's and post them up.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Well here it goes. I have one night to get the motor out, and starting at 8 at night. I will take pictures along the way and hopefully get to posting a few tommorrow.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
my buddy pulls the engines on 6.0 jobs

6.4 he pulls the cab because it's truly designed to easily pull the cab
My friend says the 6.4 cab is pretty simple to lift. Only a few connectors and 6 or 8 cab bolts...

To the OP, I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling out a 6.4 cab on......

To be honest, I think one would spend less time and headache by simply lifting the cab off and go from there.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM

I think it has been done, but I think it is a lot of extra work
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVB-R View Post
My friend says the 6.4 cab is pretty simple to lift. Only a few connectors and 6 or 8 cab bolts...

To the OP, I've never seen or heard of anyone pulling out a 6.4 cab on......

To be honest, I think one would spend less time and headache by simply lifting the cab off and go from there.
Yeah, I have done a HPFP cab off already- However I am about 3,000 miles from home for work and in an apartment complex. The deal was I could use the aparmtment maintenance shop(no lift) but had only the weekend, and the truck had to be out by Monday morning. So after working 14 hours Saturday and most of sunday, I was left with Sunday night to get done what I needed. Long story short- I can't just lift the cab and let the truck sit for a week.

First-what a complicated origami mess of hoses and wires. I sorely underestimated what I was getting into. I've done enough 7.3 R&R's that I can do it almost blindfolded.

Next- What I wound up doing was a hybrid of cab and motor pull. Yarded the bumper, hood, radiator and all the crap on the front, like I was going to pull the motor. Then I used an engine hoist to lift the front of the cab about 6 inches leaving the rear two cab bolts loose to keep alignment. Those extra 6 inches of space make ALL the difference. Ripped apart as much as I could in the time I had, set the back down in the front and wheeled the truck out into a parking spot. Now I am about to go get wrenching again and just pull the heads with the cab on, but lifted slightly.

Also solves the issue of how to apply 275 lb-ft of torque to the studs on an engine stand.... I promise, pictures are coming.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM

You just inspired me to save the money I have to spend on labor and just do it myself. I am a certified mechanic by trade, but a $12,000 engine is not something I just wanna tear into. I thought about doing the studs cab on but from what I figure the torque wrench just wont fit. Maybe when I find the summer car Im looking for I will just do the job at home in my garage at my own pace. Ive done umpteen head gasket jobs, so i'm sure I can handle this.

Does anyone know what parts you need to replace upon install? For instance exhaust gaskets, copper washers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.