Exhaust back pressure limit before studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust back pressure limit before studs

Hey guys, got a quick question.
I currently run the HD300 tune on my truck. As we all know exhaust back pressure kills head gaskets. Im running my low boost fuel setting at 3. Stock valve train And stock internal parts. What is the most I want to be seeing of exhaust back pressure read off a mini maxx. I know barometric pressure plays along in the equation, but what the programmer reads, what's the safest. I am currently seeing only 65psi of exhaust back pressure that my mini maxx is telling me.

Later on I'm doing studs and valvetrain with the cab on and am going to make a thread of how to do it. I just want to know about the ebp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Minimaxx sees gauged pressure. Which means you dont have to subtract any numbers (barometric pressure) from it. It is nice to not go over 70psi on the minimax as it may push the exhaust valves back open at some point after that. Cylinder Pressure has the most effect on headgaskets.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Is there anyway of measuring cylinder pressure? I heard this for this forum, that's why I ask. I know 70 is the top of the top before the valves start floating. When doing studs what can I do to lower back pressure, besides put a wastegate
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say the best way to lower back pressure would be to get rid of the restriction on the exhaust side. I eventually plan to do 6.0 exhaust manifolds (or RCD manifolds, or MPD manifolds) and custom up pipes. This should help the back pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.