U0100, u0294 Lost contact with ECM/PCM code, theft light, and limp mode - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U0100, u0294 Lost contact with ECM/PCM code, theft light, and limp mode

Just got my truck up here (Ohio) from Louisiana (transported) and it started and came off the truck, then everything went down hill. Drove away and 1/2 mile all the gauges turned off (stopped registering), the dash warning lights were on, go the 'wrench' light the "engine" light, only one gear, etc. Then I hit a bump and everything came back on. I pulled into a dealership and things were fine. I left, pulled out on the interstate, bam limp mode again. Got to a truck stop about 2 miles up the road, filled up with fuel, got back in it. NO START. Theft light flashing. Messed with it for about an hour, locked and unlocked it a few times, then magically it started. Took off towards home, kicked out into limp mode for about a mile, pulled over, stopped went back to normal mode. Got almost home and limp mode again. Got home, shut it down, saw the battery terminals looked like crap so I cleaned them up and checked the batteries. One was weak so I replaced it the other was fine (and newer). It was throwing those two trouble codes that I listed above. Depending on what the dealer says tomorrow this might be a case for "eBay Buyer Protection". We'll see if they'll stand behind the truck or if they make BS up. Also, the lower hose or water pump was pouring coolant out when it warmed up (I know 2010 hoses will fix it IF it's the hoses) If it's the water pump and whatever this is I'm sending it back to the Bayou!!!

That being said has anyone had issues like this? Could it be a broken wire? I know the HPFP was replaced because of a P0880 code very recently. Could they have broke a wire in the wiring harness when they lifted the cab? Maybe a bad ground? God I hope it's simple. Ebay buyer protection after reading the fine print only covers catastrophic engine, transmission, driveline failure. "Electrical" systems are exempt. Well, the way I see it these engines don't run without their electronics so you'd think if it's some crazy $3000 fix that it'd fall under the "buyer protection". Anyone ever dealt with buyer protection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I forgot to add that when I get in the truck, NO key in the ignition the CD changer is going nuts like it's searching for a CD for about 2 minutes (even after its started, when it does start) then it reads a CD error. This HAS to be an electrical short right?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BUMP...HELP...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Maybe obvious, but check the connection at the pcm.. maybe even unclamp them, hit them with some contact cleaner, and reinstall..
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's at Reineke Ford in Findlay. Had to have it towed. As soon it got off the truck it fired right up and drove in the shop. Hopefully he can recreate the issue while it's hooked up to the IDS and get it rolling again. Or, I'm might be flying to Baton Rouge and giving free butt whoopin lessons.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 AM

my money is on a bad connection at the PCM, which could have been jostled loose during transport.. or, a short- which could be a dang bear to track down..

best of luck, dude..

word of advise, fwiw: there is no such thing as fighting dirty.. fight to win.. fighting NOT to lose is for little girls..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Kind of what I'm thinking. Not gonna be fun if it is broke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
my money is on a bad connection at the PCM, which could have been jostled loose during transport.. or, a short- which could be a dang bear to track down..

best of luck, dude..

word of advise, fwiw: there is no such thing as fighting dirty.. fight to win.. fighting NOT to lose is for little girls..
So I talked to a supposed ford Tech online today and he said he's replaced dashboards in a ton of Fords when those codes pop up and he'd bet the farm thats what was wrong with mine. I've searched it a ton and I have found a few instances where this is the case. What do you think?

Another thing I found was a broken chaffed wire in the shift lever. As it goes up and down the wire rubbed and eventually caused a short. The dealer had my truck all day and I never heard from them and so I finally called late in the day, they answer they gave me was, "we got it to duplicate the conditions you described but won't have a diagnoses today, maybe tomorrow..." This will scare me into never buying a truck on ebay again, even though it was from a dealer that had a very good feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.