Help me out 6.4? 6.0 or 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help me out 6.4? 6.0 or 7.3?

I am looking to buy a 2008-2010 CCSB F250, but have 30k to play with. I know I can go with a 6.0 but all I have heard is problems with that motor. Should I keep saving and buy the 08+ or take a gamble with a 6.0 or maybe even go with the 7.3? Help me out please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7 View Post
I am looking to buy a 2008-2010 CCSB F250, but have 30k to play with. I know I can go with a 6.0 but all I have heard is problems with that motor. Should I keep saving and buy the 08+ or take a gamble with a 6.0 or maybe even go with the 7.3? Help me out please
All this and your name is 6.7? I would be looking for a '10 6.4.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there a 30k market for a '10? I've seen those up for about 38+
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help me out 6.4? 6.0 or 7.3?

My vote is also 6.4 (of the 3). Most refined interior, most power on tap, reliable (if you do all your maintenance, and do the basic DPF delete, EGR delete and off road tuner).

7.3s are great, but because no one can get past the 'almighty 7.3' mindset, in my mind the price is obnoxiously over inflated.

A 6.0 is gonna net you better fuel mileage, but again to have reliable you will have to mod it (and the mods will be more expensive, ie EGR delete, head studs, etc... I don't know exactly what goes into that as I haven't actually bulletproofed a 6.0, but there is plenty of info in the 6.0 sections).

As far as 6.4 price, it depends on what options you want and how patient you are. There are some bare bones trucks in the teens, and I got my King Ranch for $28k with 58k miles on it (but I wouldn't take that as usual, I think I pretty much stole mine). With some realistic expectations of what you want and a lot of patients you can find something in your budget, just keep in mind you will probably spend on the $2k side in the basic bulletproof after you buy it.

Also on a last note, I don't know where you live, but if your state has diesel emissions testing, I completely change my vote to bulletproofing a 6.0!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 AM

My 6.4 has been down for several reasons for about 3 of the past 18 months. Our 7.3 went 270k in 10 years before we sold it, and the only time it failed was because of a recall part in the transfer case. Engine never had a single issue. That being said, the 6.4 sure does pull nice and has more creature comforts.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 AM

I'd say 6.4, compared to my old 6.0, With this 6.4 being stock for the moment its quite faster and the throttle is touchy which lets me know there is power to be unleashed. I paid around 30k for my F-350 with 90K miles with the FX4 package which is a bit of a steal.

Last edited by 06superduty3997; 03-23-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
a 6.0L is a good motor.. you don't HAVE to do head studs if your not going to go with alot of power.. you'll get good MPGs and it will run you quite a bit cheaper than a 6.4L.. the 6.4Ls are still a bit more reliable and certainly have more power, i have to agree, the 7.3Ls are way overplayed, they're good motors but they're gutless compared to a 6.4L especially if your going OBS.. if you can afford it i'd say 6.4L if money is an issue get a good 6.0L
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM

7.3 is the most reliable of the three. then the 6.4 then the 6.0 if it was me i would go with the 7.3 and make it the way you want it. yea they are not the fastest or the most comfy but they are damn near indestructable.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would say depends on what your using it for as well. Hauling , work, daily driver?
How many miles you plan to put each year , where you live . Lifted , nonlift . Answer all the auestions and i think you can get a better assesement of what you really need not what you really want.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Help me out 6.4? 6.0 or 7.3?

Drove my roommates old 7.3 this afternoon, running some random errands and I remembered how much more refined the 6.4 is. His 7.3 is a 100% stock CCSB XLT. It takes a little while to crank (although it has been sitting), it's so loud, and feels like it takes days to reach 60...

I'm not gonna compare the creature comforts tho as his is the XLT and I have the KR. But unless I just had an itch for a 7.3 project, I won't be buying a 7.3 ever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, 6.4, 7.3, sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.