Exhaust Smell in the cab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Smell in the cab

Occassionally I will get a strong exhaust smell in the cab. Anyone have this issue or know what may be causing this?

Thanks

MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM

i would guess cracked Y pipes - they're on the back of the block and have failure prone flexible couplings. its a common failure point on these trucks.

are you tuned? is the smell strongest during regen?

G
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in the process of ordering all my tuning equipment. So far I only have the HS mini maxx. When my truck does the regen it never identifies this with the dash light. I am almost always in town at slow speeds when I notice this and usually not sure if the truck is doing the regen or not. Only time I can tell is when I am on the highway.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM

is the mini installed? is it one of the older units that allows dpf delete tuning?

yes the newer updates from Ford do not tell you when you're in regen - i may be mistaken but mine only told me when it was beginning/finishing. so you only notice the regen at highway speeds? depending on your driving habits it may ONLY regen on the highway. if you do enough highway the truck will know this and just save the regen for a time when you're going fast enough to create the necessary exhaust gas temperatures to burn all the nonsense out of the DPF.

do you still have a warranty?

i wouldn't ditch the warranty before i was 100% sure, or as close to it as possible, about the truck's health. so go talk to a mechanic - but continue to get background info cause no one wants to explain the basics.

Y pipes are cab off at the dealership so i would confirm they're all good. if you don't have time to befriend a diesel tech there are three ways to diag. Y pipes; get a flashlight and LOOK for signs of soot on the back of the motor and on the pipes; LISTEN for atypical rushing air (stupid difficult seeing as we've got two turbos); FEEL for a lack of power/lower boost

get a flashlight and look for evidence of soot on the actual pipes and surrounding area. you could also try listening a rushing air type of noise (stupid difficult to pick out IMO)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have the tuner installed yet. All other components on order now. Havent noticed any lack of power. I double check with dealer and they said warranty was up in September.
I will be doing dpf/egr delete.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM

yeah, deleting is probably a good idea in that case. for all i know it could be just a simple exhaust related problem that will go away once you tune; dpf's can be a little stinky

G
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i replaced mine with tripple walled pipes when the cab was off for studs. I was told to look on the firewall for soot if you have issues smelling fumes..

I still get fumes smell in the cab though. These trucks don't have a cabin filter so the air outside gets pumped inside the cab really easy. I usually get fumes when backing up in the morning with a little wind from behind. I would say that is what you are having if you can't see soot where the guys are talking about or not hearing anything out of the usual roar.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.