My 6.4 EBP sensor relocation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 6.4 EBP sensor relocation

A while back I had a leak in the up pipe that used to feed my EGR, back when I had an EGR. I may have broken it when I removed the EGR, but who knows. Rather than replacing the pipe, which would be impossible with the cab on, I decided to take the pipe out and relocate the EPB sensor.

I pulled off the EGR block off plate, and drilled and tapped it to 1/4" NPT. I had to cut the up pipe to get it out, which was a giant pain. I used an oscillating tool with a cutting blade on it for most of the first cut, which was above the expansion joint. The rest of that cut I finished with a small hack saw. It wasn't easy. After that cut I unbolted the pipe and dropped it down, and cut the bottom off with a Sawzall. That part was easy.

It took some doing for me to get the tapped block off plate and gasket bolted on to the new location, off of the main up pipe, but I was eventually able to get it done by myself.

I mounted the EBP sensor using a straight 1/4" NPT male to female flare fitting, then a 45 degree flare to flare elbow, just to elevate the EPB sunsor so that no moisture would collect there. I extended the sensor wires by soldering on extension, and covered them with corrugated tubing and electrical tape.

I have a couple pictures, but it's hard to get a good view back there. It's even harder to get your hands back there to work on it. In my opinion, if you have an EGR delete this is a good modification to do. It removes a useless pipe and tube that can cause problems, and puts the EBP sensor closer to the exhaust it's monitoring. I think it also minimizes the chances of the sensor getting clogged or moisture building up. I was surprised by the amount of black sooty liquid at the bottom of the EGR pipe when I removed the block off plate.

It seems that a lot of people have problems with the EGR up pipe like I did, so I thought I'd post a little bit about my experience. Hopefully it helps somebody out.
Attached Thumbnails
My 6.4 EBP sensor relocation-2013-03-18_17-48-14_643.jpg   My 6.4 EBP sensor relocation-2013-03-18_17-48-27_322.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Cool mod!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM

I might look into doing this as my ebp tube freezes in cold weather since the egr delete causing the turbos to sky rocket.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM

It probably freezes due to the moisture that settles at the bottom of the EGR pipe where it's capped by the block off plate. After the EGR is gone, that moisture has nowhere to go when it's under pressure but up into the EBP sensor tube. That's my best guess anyway. Periodically draining that pipe may help with the freezing issue, I don't know.

The flare fittings I used were a straight 1/4" male NPT to 5/16" female JIC flare, and a 45 degree 5/16" male JIC flare to female JIC flare. In my experience 5/16" JIC flare was a relatively uncommon size, which made these fittings a little hard to find. I bought them from Hydraulics Direct because they had the best price I could find, at the links below.

6505 JIC Steel Fittings | Parker 0106, Parker F6X, Weatherhead 9100
JIC Steel Fittings | SAE 070321, Parker V6X, Parker 3703

They're galvanized steel, and they seem to be holding up well. Stainless ones are available from other sources, but the only ones I could find were VERY expensive, at around $60-$80 each, if I remember correctly. Whatever they cost, I found them prohibitively expensive at the time, and I probably still would. The galvanized ones are reasonably priced and work well. I bought doubles of the fittings I used, just in case I ever needed another set.

It's not the easiest mod to do, although it's not real complicated, and the skills involved are probably ones you should have anyway. You need to have access to and know how to use a pipe thread tap, and know how to solder and heat shrink wires (or use crimp splices, I guess). Plus all the cutting and stuff that goes along with getting the pipe out. But I think it's a worthwhile mod to do if you're having problems with the pipe or sensor tube, and maybe even if you're not having any problems (yet).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad my little sensor relocation experiment might help people out.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews

I think this should be a sticky, it's a great fix. Many people post about having boost issues and ect and if they're deleted then its almost always the ebp tube! Great write up and great job man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Im getting ready to jump into this and im sure of the answer, but if I were to move the block of plate and not plug the sensor in what will happen. I know it must be needed, but can I use the truck until I get time to relocate it up
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

I kind of need my truck is the only reason I ask and the dealer already order me in the new up pipes, but I don't really need them and they are going to take my cab off to do it and id rather not mess with all that if all I have to do is move a block off plate.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Without the EBP sensor plugged in the VGT turbo can not function correctly as it relies on that reading to control the vanes. You'll also get an annoying CEL.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

alright that will work... cross that idea off.
Someone should go ahead and produce the block off plates with the center out with threads to screw the sensor into like the guy above fabricated. Just for the EBP relocation.....just add it onto the step of removing the EGR
Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

b-adams... how in the heck did you get your hands back on the top piece to get the bolts out... holy crap that's tight. im in the middle of doing this right now and I already don't like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.