"Long Road Trip Soon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Long Road Trip Soon

Hey guys, my 08 has 180k on it. SCT tuned aFe intake. I have taken the truck on a few trips back and forth to Cleveland Ohio area in the last two months. (About 360 miles 1 way)

I am about to head to Chicago area from WV (About 570 miles one way). Oil gets changed every 5k, fuel filters every 10k. Oil and Fuel last done at 175k (going to change the oil before heading out) I keep a close eye on the vitals via my Livewire and I've been around PSDs awhile, but is there anything I should really look at before this long haul? It's about a 10 hour drive and I am going to be making it straight through.

Before leaving town, I am going to check all my tire pressure, rotate the tires, and do the oil change that will be due in a day or so. Probably going to service the transfer case and rear end as well. Transmission was last serviced by Ford at 170k. Truck also has a new alternator (changed last weekend)

Is there anything anyone can think of that I need to check out before hitting the road? I have put about about 5200 on the truck in long road trips since September with no issues except the alternator. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Make sure your fluid levels are good and you should be set.

Saw youre post on FB? You moving or is it short term hopefully?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
Hey guys, my 08 has 180k on it. SCT tuned aFe intake. I have taken the truck on a few trips back and forth to Cleveland Ohio area in the last two months. (About 360 miles 1 way)

I am about to head to Chicago area from WV (About 570 miles one way). Oil gets changed every 5k, fuel filters every 10k. Oil and Fuel last done at 175k (going to change the oil before heading out) I keep a close eye on the vitals via my Livewire and I've been around PSDs awhile, but is there anything I should really look at before this long haul? It's about a 10 hour drive and I am going to be making it straight through.

Before leaving town, I am going to check all my tire pressure, rotate the tires, and do the oil change that will be due in a day or so. Probably going to service the transfer case and rear end as well. Transmission was last serviced by Ford at 170k. Truck also has a new alternator (changed last weekend)

Is there anything anyone can think of that I need to check out before hitting the road? I have put about about 5200 on the truck in long road trips since September with no issues except the alternator. Any help is appreciated!
Its a nice drive until You hit Indiana. God awful long flat boring state. you will be in it for a long time. I used to have family just outside Beckley WV. made the trip many times. watch the EGTs on the long pull up "bad of mountain" My best time was 8.5 hours back when I was young and crazy 20 years ago. probably made the trip 40 times in my life.

Have a safe trip. is the trip work or fun?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM

most folks likely won't agree with me on this, but I'd service the differential and the transfer case after the trip, if it were me..

funny things -can- happen when you do such a service, and tootling around town or close to home is a better place to discover them than a good piece from home..

servicing the transfer case can dislodge particulates that otherwise have found a nice little hiding spot.. the cover on the rear diff is nice and sealed right now, but using a new one has the possibility to not seat/seal..

I'd do the servicing right after the run on those two items.. filter and fluid change otherwise, before.. just my opinion, though..

edited:

eh- check that.. fresh fluids ain't gonna hurt nothing, and the tech who do it should be competent enough to do it right.. I reckon my concerns are based more on speculating that techs are idiots, and that if you want a job done right you gotta do it yourself.. :-)

Last edited by drewactual; 03-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Make sure your fluid levels are good and you should be set.

Saw youre post on FB? You moving or is it short term hopefully?
It is a permanent transfer. I will be looking for a place to live in Indiana. But I will be there as short of a time as possible as I will keep my eyes open for transfers out of there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackstand View Post
Have a safe trip. is the trip work or fun?
Work. There is nothing in that place for me to voluntarily choose to go there for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
most folks likely won't agree with me on this, but I'd service the differential and the transfer case after the trip, if it were me..

funny things -can- happen when you do such a service, and tootling around town or close to home is a better place to discover them than a good piece from home..

servicing the transfer case can dislodge particulates that otherwise have found a nice little hiding spot.. the cover on the rear diff is nice and sealed right now, but using a new one has the possibility to not seat/seal..

I'd do the servicing right after the run on those two items.. filter and fluid change otherwise, before.. just my opinion, though..

edited:

eh- check that.. fresh fluids ain't gonna hurt nothing, and the tech who do it should be competent enough to do it right.. I reckon my concerns are based more on speculating that techs are idiots, and that if you want a job done right you gotta do it yourself.. :-)
I see your point above and that makes good sense, but with 180K on the truck and me not knowing when these fluids were last changed.... Plus, I'll be doing the workj myself so I know it'll be done right!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Make sure the stereo is in good working order. Singing to yourself for that long a stretch could get ugly.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM

Sounds like your up on your maintenance just make sure all fluids are good my truck only makes 10-15 hour trips I do my diffs once a year no need to do them because of a 10 hour trip. That 10 hour haul is way easier on the truck then the around town driving even if you are deleted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.