First Dyno Pull truck downshifts to 4th? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Dyno Pull truck downshifts to 4th?

Went to Rudy's Diesel event in NC this weekend. Awesome event and had a great time.

Put my truck up on the dyno for the first time, Running Gearhead Hot Street on Livewire.. truck kept downshifting into 4th on the pulls. Not sure if there was something going on with the truck.. or the guy in the drivers seat wasn't doing it right.. he was loading it like i've seen in other videos, but then just seemed like he was punching it to the floor after that.. I've never done this before so i don't know whats wrong or right.

Let me know what you guys think is going on.. a couple guys standing around said i should get some traction bars.. its on my list as soon as the funds are right.

440HP/860TQ with the downshift into 4th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhKkb0A1bHk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
I'm not familiar with Livewire, but with my H&S I can set when the TC locks up. You need to find when the tuner is locking your torque converter (TC). I had issues with this when my truck was on the dyno. On the H&S display it'll actually indicate when the TC is locked. My truck kept downshifting as well and I had to change the shift schedule to lock in 4th and 5th.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

I was talking with Matt from Gearhead.. he said he can write me a dyno only tune..

my IDP tunes on my livewire have a Dyno Lock tune that locks TC after 10 mph.... i might try that too.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've never done it before myself. I've always had manual cars which went in the 1:1 gear. When I did my 6.4 last summer, it was downshifting too. They told me to increased the rear wheel speed over 80mph and it stopped downshifting... I just floored it when he said GO. They had a hand held box which I assume loads the dyno when he hits it.
I was surprised at the numbers and thought they were happy, but it seems close to what others were getting so I assume its a correct method.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First Dyno Pull truck downshifts to 4th?

Was it searching for a gear? ie did it shift into fifth then right back down into fourth? To me that would mean you need traction bars. I've never run my truck on a dyno but all the cars I've done were run in direct drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

So as soon as he would floor it, it would downshift into 4th... Didn't appear to be searching for gears I've been doing some searching and it looks like I just need to use a dyno trans tune... Matt said he would write one for me .. Traction bars are in the works, but doubt ill have them before the next dyno event I'm attending in may in Woodbridge, va near my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.