truck camper - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck camper

Hey guys would any of you consider a truck camper on an 08 f350. the camper is an older unit and it weighs only 1100 lbs dry but it looks to be an 8 foot camper and the truck only has a shortbed. I could be wrong about the length but it looks like a standard camper, haven't contacted the owner yet. pretty small basic camper with fridge and stove and furnace. ill find out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have a long bed truck and an 8ft camper...i also have a 12 inch aux tank which sets camper back 1 foot...so far have not been stopped because break signal lights are reccesed so far back.another thing altho i dont think an 1100lb camper would impact too much is the c.of g....a couple of inches out is not too bad.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I went over there and took some measurements. Camper is an 8 ft. Will fit in my box and be about 1/2 way to back of tailgate. Weird it looks so tiny sitting there. The tag says it is 1080 pounds. Would this be ok on a one ton? My gvw is 11400 pounds. Tires are mickey ts e rated
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Re: truck camper

I had a 10' camper before on my srw f350. It was almost 4k lbs dry, the only issue I had was tires. But if this only weighs 1k, you shouldn't have any issues. One thing I learned was that not all E rated tires are the same, check the actual load rating in lbs.

My 2003 f350 CCLB 4x4 has 3k lbs over the rear axle empty. Add this camper, that's 4k over the rear, as long as your tires have a load rating of 2k our better(which they should) you should be fine. Plus don't use the body style tie downs, get frame mounted ones, I've seen beds wrinkle from the movement of the camper...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Re: truck camper

Also, when I first bought my camper I had Mickey Thompson Baja claws, I had to change then to toyo m/t, because the Mickeys couldn't hold the weight safely... but again, you should be fine...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM

those are the tires I got. at least they are Baja claw atz e rated. I just looked and they are rated for 3750 lbs. is that ok? what kind of system for tie downs without spending a fortune?? im trying to stay simple and cheap. already have an old travel trailer but just seems like a lot of work and $50 insurance every 3 months, tires etc. just me and my wife now or me and my teenager who just loves going camping. just don't want to spend more on tie downs then the camper. could I get by using torklift frame mounts in the front only??? Im new to this camper thing

Last edited by nocturnal30; 03-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. You guys are really helpfull. Appreciate it. I think i might just stick with my travel trailer. Its an old sportsman single axle. Needs work but still use it fir bare bones camping. The guy wants $1000 for a 40 year old camper thats been sitting in the weather for sale over a year. And the cost of tiedowns and all
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 AM

40 YRS OLD.......good decision.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 AM

I know its old. Typical 70s camper. I took long look and its actually pretty mint which is rare. Its still tugging at my heartstrings lol. Idk what will happen. Lots of time. In saskatchewan and snow everywhere. Snowing again right now. This is the ***---- of earth it seems. So sick of this crap. Snow from nov-may
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.