Oil temp delta, what does Ford actually spec? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil temp delta, what does Ford actually spec?

I have yet to get a straight answer from searching or even from asking the Ford service manager on what EXACTLY does Ford call out the max difference in temps to be. I read here and there that 10* difference is okay which I understand but what about 15*, 20*, 25*? Where is the cutoff point for a warrantied oil cooler?

Ford just tells me that if it's clogged then it'll will throw a code which is fine and dandy but at what temp difference is the code thrown? I assume my mini maxx turns something off so a code will not be thrown because on a trip I took across Texas a few weeks ago I experienced a max difference of 55* from coolant and oil temp and had an average of 30* difference with no codes. I returned everything back to 100% stock for warranty and while driving with around a 20* difference is threw a code, I cleared it and it didn't "re-throw" that code even when it reached 20* again? Now Ford is saying that my oil cooler is fine because no codes are thrown, I know for a fact my oil cooler is clogged so now I need to find out exactly how to throw that code again.

If Ford will not replace the cooler then I'll go ahead and hook a big *** trailer up and tow it on the highway to get the oil temp up to it's max difference.

Bottom line is, does anyone have a Ford service book or actual knowledge of what they cut off the warranty at temperature wise??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

I "think" the magic number is 15*, but have heard thru the years they have increased that to 25* before oil cooler replacement.

If they test drive the truck they should be able to verify oil cooler trouble, if they wont warranty it take it to a different dealer.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the reply a2elvis.

The dealer is replacing the egr valve right now and after that code goes off they will start checking the oil cooler. Maybe today I'll get some sort of answer on that. This dealer is where we buy all our vehicles from and have treated us well in the past so I'm hoping they can figure this out without me going there to throw the code for them.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM

Pardon me, stupid question, new to 6.4's. but why does the oil cooler plug? Lack of oil changes or wrong antifreeze? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Junk in cooling system, wrong antifreeze, silicate drop out...scale, lots of stuff...it can also burst from the oil side as well...

I am curious as how a egr delete effects oils temp deltas, seems like after a egr delete people's deltas grow bigger, mine did...while towing it is more noticeable...anyone know the reasons behind this??

Maybe h&s disables that code since they tune for egr delete and deltas would grow larger and set off codes constantly?

Last edited by rt_hawk; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM

My delta did not grow after my egr delete or after my coolant flush. My deltas run 2-4 degrees apart.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM

my deltas stayed the same after egr delete as well there usually always 5 when its at operating temp
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Hmm, I reads bunch of posts about trucks running warmer after egr delete, make I am just lucky and get to put in a new oil cooler...oh well...I will do a flush with restore to get all the lime scale out, hopefully that improves things...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM

UPDATE:

Ford called me and told me they fixed the EGR problem but couldn't get the code to come back for the oil cooler warranty. I've asked everyone I can think of as well as Ford service managers and master techs the question of, "At what temp difference does it actually throw a code and to what spec determines that the oil cooler is clogged?", no one can give me a straight answer. I've asked about it in this here also: Oil temp delta, what does Ford actually spec?

I went and picked up my truck this afternoon and told them I'll be right back after it throws the code, well, after about 20 minutes of driving the wrench light popped on. I had my mini maxx plugged in to monitor the temps and I got a max of 61* difference going 75 on the highway, average was about a 50* difference. I was watching for the wrench light but I don't know if it only comes on after a certain delta is hit or if the average is high for a set time or what? I noticed it on when the deltas reached about 40*+.

So I dropped it back off at Ford and hopefully this is the end for the back and forth stuff so it can just get fixed.

You can follow the actual issue in my build thread, link is below in my sig
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM

I read some where that the light only turns on after so long at certain speeds, I think they give you more leeway at high speed engine operation, etc...look for the tsb that talks about motoring engine temps...it explains it better, good luck! I hope they get it fixed for you!

Edit: I believe the TSB was a recall for a PCM flash, so the truck would throw a light if the oil temp deltas exceeded a certain amount during certain other variables...

Last edited by rt_hawk; 03-14-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.