Decisions decisions........ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decisions decisions........

Been shopping around for a mini maxx for quite some time now and cheapest I can fin is $1400!!! I've been doing lots of research on the spartan phalanx and I love you device itself and it comes with tunes up to 275. The highest I'd use is the 250 but majority of the time the 210. Do I wait and hold out to find a cheap mini maxx which might never happen or just go buy the spartan. What do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 AM

Re: Decisions decisions........

Both have great reviews i think the majority of it is just personal preference. I have the mini and its been great for me. Not sure on prices of the Spartan setups but don't think you can go wrong either way!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

srjd,

The spartan comes with all of their tunes! Up to the 350 tune. I am very much like you and use the 210 as my dd and I can tell you it is great! There is plenty of power, the shifts are exactly like stock and almost no smoke unless you REALLY get on it and then it's just a little haze.

If I were you I'd just buy the Spartan and be done with it. I am a very happy customer. Not saying that there is anything wrong with H&S, I just agree with you that it is very hard to justify 1400 on a tuner.

Kyle
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM

after running both I will say if you need turn off the tpms system, adjust for tire size, and want shift on the fly then H&S all the way because you cant do that with the spartan. If you want a better monitor go spartan. transmission was h&s and the spartan 210 and under are close to the same firmness, but spartan 250 and over are hard shifts and I liked the h&s sifting way more.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM

I do need to adjust for the tire size. With h&s can I get a late lock up tune I'd like that with the 37s. On the spartan they have that option. To be honest I'd like to have smooth shifting but in the end which ever is going to save my tranny longer ill be happy with. Can somone explain which tunes come with the h&s. are the hot damn ones included right away do I have to pay?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
All tunes come with h&s also. And you can pick which shift schedule you want. They have schedule 1- high medium and low and schedule 2- high medium and low. Schedule one locks the torque converter in 4th and 5th where schedule two only locks in fifth. Low is locks early and high is locks late.

Look for a used mini maxx. As long as it is returned to stock your fine. They don't require an unlock fee just make sure you don't buy a locked tuner. H&s will not unlock them anymore and I have seen a few for sale that seem to good to be true when they are buying a locked tuner. I may sell my extra mini maxx I have. Thinking about getting a sct with gearhead tunes just so I have two tuners and not have all this money sunk into a h&s I'm not using.

Last edited by travisH3; 03-11-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM

I run the 300 tune alot (210 in winter) and find the 300 shifts pretty smooth, not exactly like the 210 smooth but pretty good for that high a tune.
And like 03 said, you get all the tunes with spartan not just up to 275.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM

I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Spartan shifting. I have run almost all of the tunes and never had a complaint or worry about the shifting. I am currently running the 300 el because it has given me the best fuel mileage and it is a very clean tune even at WOT it only spews a light haze for a few seconds. My suggestion is go with the Spartan it is a great tuner and the customer service has been awesome so far.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Decisions decisions........

+1 for Spartan. I love mine. I run the 300 and to be honest can't tell the difference between its shifting and the 210 (but that might have to do with my traction bars. They made a world of difference).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM

If I do go with the h&s just because I like the shift on the fly and adjust for tire size what shift schedule should I do for 6 inch lift and 37s. I was thinking shift schedule 2 medium? I don't want to luck the truck that's what thing I hate about my kem tune right now which I'm sure I could have got changed but it would shift into fifth way to early and lug the truck when getting on the highway. Also if I get the mini can I hook it up right away or does it have to be updated first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
afe stage 2 cai, h&s mini maxxhd300tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.