A little worried (white smoke content) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A little worried (white smoke content)

Alright, so I am a little worried. I have been reading all the "white smoke threads" after searching the forums here and my problem is still not answered. I am running the H&S mini maxx with a DPF delete and S&B cold air intake. Recently, I started to notice white smoke after I start up the truck and when I rev it while in park. When I rev it up in park, its mixed with black smoke as well. I don't beat on the truck and I have the mild tune set to mild as well and I usually stays there unless I want better mileage on the freeway in which case I turn it up one or two. My coolant is at 186deg, trans temp is 156deg and the oil is 190deg. I had a coolant flush in Nov and drove from Cali here to Missouri in Dec and have been here since. I never checked the coolant really until I saw the white smoke and noticed that it was low by about 2 inches so I filled it to just above the top cold fill line yesterday. Today, while the engine is hot, the coolant is about a millimeter below the bottom cold fill line.

Is this normal for the coolant to fluctuate like that? Since I am puffing white smoke, do you think my EGR has ruptured? I thought the H&S turned the EGR valve off? Could my head be warped or did I blow a head gasket? Have I ruptured a turbo seal? Any help or advice would be much appriciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 PM

As far as low coolant level i would start by checking for external leaks first. Upper and lower radiator hose, radiator side tanks and hose at rear or horizontal cooler. With dpf delete there will be some smoke. If you are concerned w egr cooler issues just delete them. Tuner will not keep air and coolant flow from going thru coolers if they are still installed. Head gaskets are less likely to be the cause. You can pull the pipe at the back of horizontal cooler loose and check to see if it is wet w coolant.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7686 View Post
As far as low coolant level i would start by checking for external leaks first. Upper and lower radiator hose, radiator side tanks and hose at rear or horizontal cooler. With dpf delete there will be some smoke. If you are concerned w egr cooler issues just delete them. Tuner will not keep air and coolant flow from going thru coolers if they are still installed. Head gaskets are less likely to be the cause. You can pull the pipe at the back of horizontal cooler loose and check to see if it is wet w coolant.

Thank you for the reply! I have not seen any fluid on the pavement but I will check all the connections just to make sure. I understand that there will be smoke with the delete...but white with the black? And I have been deleted for over a month now and this is the first time I have seen white smoke. I know I can delete the EFR...but since I live in California...I have to keep them on. Maybe stealth EGR in a the future!

Anybody else have any recommendations?
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM

Just curious but does it pass w/o the dpf or are you planning on putting it back on for testing?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7686 View Post
Just curious but does it pass w/o the dpf or are you planning on putting it back on for testing?

I dont know yet. It not due for smog untill next January. Im going to spend from now till them finding a guy that will "pass" if for me with the help of some green paper. If not, I guess I will have to reinstall the DPF for a day.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Common for up to an inch of fluctuation on coolant line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.4L Problems - Diesel Power Magazine

scroll down to white smoke/loss of power. Change that boot. personally i changed all 4. 2 hot side from dieselsite.com and other 2 came in my EGR delete kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.