LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Experienced Forum User--serious question

Howdy my feller PSD owners.

I was going to post this in the performance, exterior, or even the general suspension section where it belongs, but I don't believe it would have gotten any attention.

So I called up to Rudy's Diesel Performance, ordered $2300 worth of "goodies" for my bro (he just got his taxes back), and I must thank them for great service and communication. So thanks fellas.

On another note, I asked him what shocks they run on their trucks, and he said "ALA shocks". I googled it, found NOTHING . Called him back and he said google "A-tech ALA shocks." I was like perfect...should come up this time! NOTHING

What gives? Am I a tard? (wouldn't be the first time).

On that note, I believe the consensus for shocks with the best reputation from stock to 4" of height have been Bilstein 5100's (for the most simple stock swaps and leveled trucks), Carli/Icon, and King in that order. Some are running Rancho 9000's with luck, others rough country, pro comp, and a couple monroe.

I think we all agree that you get what you pay for, but for the average fella looking for a good stance (leveled truck or stock truck) willing to spend about 500-1000 for the whole package (level, blocks, shocks, etc.) and wants an improved ride (yes, i know it's a PSD at 8000lbs and not built to ride like a caddy), what's the best option? I know some fellas that have spent thousands on shocks and have been very disappointed in ride improvement on the highway considering the $$$ they dished out, which is not what i'm looking for.

One last question, and it may be a funny one--anyone running "velvet ride shackels"? Heard that for the first time today, and thought it was a joke...turns out it's real and some guys do. Any reviews? Anyone even make them for our trucks anymore?

Thanks in advance for all educated, experienced, respectful responses. Please do not turn this into a shock bashing thread. I'd like for myself and others to get something out of this thread considering it's tax refund season and a good many are looking for the same answers I am.

*NEW:
2016 F250 CCSB KR FX4
NL Fab:
---Stage 1 Intake
---EGR shmock off plates
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---Flo Pro Exhaust (5" to 6" tip)
---SCT with GH tunes
---Waiting for first Fuel Filter change to install:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------CCV Mod
---------CTS2 monitor with EGT Probe
Just passed 1,111.1 miles and LOVING IT!

**SOLD:
2010 F250 CC FX4
H&S
AFE Intake
and some other goodies...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Slacker

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm running Bilstein 5100 shocks and the Velvet Ride shackles. Don't waste your money on the Velvet Ride shackles or Sulastic springs. In my opinion, they aren't worth it. I do like the Bilsteins, although my suspension is a little different than yours.

Shawn Carlson

Proud Navy Vet
2005 F250, CCSB, 6.0 PSD, FX4 (The Sweet Unit is white)
2008 F350, CCLB, 6.4 PSD (Brad-the wife's truck is black)

Engine Mods:
Fluidampr
CCV Reroute (Reinstated)
4" MBRP Exhaust
MTW Stage 1 Turbo
Bulletproof 53V FICM
BulletProof EGR Cooler
BulletProof Water Pump
Riff Raff Intercooler Boots
Gogo Diesel Direct Drive Solenoid
BulletProof All-Aluminum Radiator
BulletProof All-Aluminum Intercooler
BulletProof Oil Cooler System w/ Bypass Filter
SCT w/ Custom Tunes (TSD, DJ's, Innovative, Gearhead, QuickTricks)

Exterior Mods:
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Icon Adjustable Trac Bar
Firestone RideRite Air Bags
BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer
Aluminum Finned Differential Cover
Reese 16k Manual Slider 5th Wheel Hitch
Icon 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ F-350 rear blocks
20" BMF Novakanes wrapped in 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Hunter of Trolls

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I have ranchos on my rig that I can't stand.. but they ain't broke yet..

I ran 5100 billy's on my dodge, after running about everything else.. I was hesitant to spend nearly $90 a shock, but I wish I would have earlier.. they are great shocks..
post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Experienced Forum User--serious question

Bump. Does nobody really have an opinion or am I asking what everyone already knows. I listed the most expensive. How about some $100-150 a shock that have really impressed y'all? Anyone?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

*NEW:
2016 F250 CCSB KR FX4
NL Fab:
---Stage 1 Intake
---EGR shmock off plates

---SCT with GH tunes

---------CCV Mod

**SOLD:
2010 F250 CC FX4
H&S
AFE Intake

post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 5100's on my truck and I really didn't see any difference in ride quality.

2008 (Job 1) F250 King ranch 4x4, snow plow prep package with 2.5 level. Black Maxx, B&W Diehard platinums. Dieselsite coolant and transmission filters, NCU Motorsports/amsoil oil bypass kit. Turbo blankets, 5.5 PMF traction
Please collect and message me Shell, Rotella oil cap codes aka "my miles matter" I'm trying to save up for a hat or something.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
I love the Rancho 9000x adjustable shocks Bilsteins were too stiff for my liking

I always suggest buying shocks local in case you need to warranty one

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

We Miss you Ronnie

post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
I have 5100's on my truck and I really didn't see any difference in ride quality.
x2 .

2008 Job 3, F350, 6.4/drw/lariat/CC/LB, Spartan, Viper 5902, Line-X, Flo-pro egr delete, aFe stage 2 proguard 7, MBRP Cool Duals/downpipe/CAC, CCV mod, coolant filter PMF 7" 4link, Rigid Dually fogs, Royalty Core 3pc, Crown brake lines, Mishimoto Rad
6.4 Rebuild May/2015, BD manifolds+Uppipes, chromoly rods, rockers,lifters, hd springs
Monstir 20", 37x12.50 ATZ P3
1999 Corvette Cpe
post #8 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Hunter of Trolls

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
my guess is the shocks made a difference on the Dodge because of the IFS torsion bar suspension.. maybe, anyway..

it's good to know that there is really no difference on these rigs..

here is something of value, though, that may serve the OP well:

Tenneco makes most the shocks we see under rides w/ after market lift kits.. they make:

Monroe[11]
Walker[12]
Rancho[13]
DynoMax[14]
Clevite Elastomers[15]
Gillet[16]
Fonos[17]
Fric-Rot[18]
Kinetic[19]
Thrush[20]
DNX[21]
Marzocchi[22]
Axios[23]
Lukey[24]

they also produce shocks with the Rough Country, Skyjacker, helz- just about every lift kit out there have shocks produced by Tenneco.. the thing about those shocks is that they aren't all bad, but the white bodied ones aren't good.. they are the precise same shock that sell for $30ea under one brand, then slap a Rancho label on them and BOOM-they are suddenly worth $70ea...

If you've got the coin, FoxRacing makes the best imHo, followed by the high end Bilstein's, and then the higher end Rancho's..

If you've ever been off road in a long armed FoxRacing suspended machine, the initial platform and then the progressive ramp is a thing of beauty.. it slaps the crap out of all linear travel shocks most of us use.. but then again, how often do we really work these things off road? In my mind, it certainly doesn't justify buying them..
post #9 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response fellas. I guess I didn't use the search button "enough" but i did search extensively.

I hate posting "shock" posts that really add no value, but i have drewactual to thank for making this thread valuable with his backup information on shocks.

i saw where a guy failed to read my post that i posted YESTERDAY about the SAME question...another reason why this site frustrates me, even though I have learned SO much from it over the past 5 years.

Always a double edged sword...

*NEW:
2016 F250 CCSB KR FX4
NL Fab:
---Stage 1 Intake
---EGR shmock off plates

---SCT with GH tunes

---------CCV Mod

**SOLD:
2010 F250 CC FX4
H&S
AFE Intake

post #10 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The 5100s are an entry level offroad shock. Depending on your coil choice, they will provide a firm ride and handle the sharp bumps much better but overall, they're NOT a "soft" shock. Their construction and quality are unmatched at their price point but whether or not you should purchase them is reliant on your goal. White body shocks (rancho, pro comp, etc..) are cheaper, inferior construction that won't last near as long but ride much softer (assuming a soft spring). Just some info, take it for what it's worth...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode