what would you guys do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what would you guys do?

i only have 65k kms on my 2010 with the spartan tuner, should i say goodbye to any chance of warranty and egr delete with studs and wastegate, or ride it out the way it sits. i'm sure if i had a defect it would show up by now. i'm on the fence about this one. i found a guy locally who said he would do the studs for 1200 and but didn't give me a price for the rest of the work. i have no issues now but will i later???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 AM

I wouldn't trust anyone who said they could stud for $1200 either CAD or USD... parts alone will near that.. him quoting such a thing betrays him claiming any experience...

run- don't walk..

otherwise, the decision you're making is a tough one.. exhaust can be replaced in an hour- EGR delete being reinstalled, not so much.. studs shouldn't void warranty at all so long as you can prove it was done by competent licensed mechanic..

personally, (and I'm in the same fix you are), I'd consider block plates until you hit the end of warranty.. but, you and others may feel differently..

caveat: if your dude plans on installing head studs without removing the heads, it can be done for $1200.. that would be $600 or so for the studs, and $600 or so for the time... I've got concerns about replacing head bolts with studs, one by one, without removing the heads- but folks do it all the time.. I figure you're asking for problems when you do it, and especially because folks figure they can hammer a truck that's studded.. if that gasket wasn't uniformly pinched, or if it moved or unseated the tiniest amount when doing such a thing- you'll blow those things quick like..

Last edited by drewactual; 03-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM

$1200 just labor?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM

he said 6 for studs and 6 for labour. i would imagne he would be doing one at a time. he said he done lots of them but no one i know has done work to there deisels like i plan doing. the other option is i do work with 30 deisel mechanics at the mine i work at but they are all on big equipment so i would like to find someone who works on 6.4's but i might just tackle this myself with a hd mechanic looking over my shoulder??you guys figure a deisel is a deisel? they all work on million dollar machines but they don't pay for the parts either!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM

I have a 2010 F350 with just over 22,000 miles. I did my deletes at about 10,000 miles after many months of trying to convince myself to do them and not worry about the warranty. I have not given the warranty any thought since as I believe my truck is much better off now.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 PM

i don't have an issue with my dpf delete as i still have the faint hope of warranty if i put it back,it's the point of no return that has me wondering!!it is a dd for my wife and its pretty much babied but when it's paid off she gets her explorer and the truck is all mine,but i want a reliable truck when that happens. i quess i want to know what long term damage can be done or is it aroll of the dice either way?? i am anal with maintance, so as long as i keep that up it should be good?? it being my only vehicle (besides work truck) my fear is looking at a 10,000 dollar repair bill and my wife can't get the kids around. got just over a year before a third vehicle is in the mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.